• In the Spotlight:

I'm sorry but I have to say this...

Has ‘atheist’ become a derogatory remark? I don’t know if I was the one being called an atheist today or if it was the other lady on the forum but it certainly wasn’t done in a nice way. So is ‘atheist’ the new N-word? Is it to mean someone who is stupid or uneducated about their decision to “question” the scriptures? I'm not usually a negative person but I have to say that this was uncalled for.

I'm not calling out all "Christians" in this statement but this person WAS a Christian.

And yes, I am hiding behind the anon button this morning because I am hurt and I would've mentioned this directly to the person who used this term "negatively" but this person hid behind the anon button, too - so I can't.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:46 AM on Apr. 30, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I think everyone does believe in God, how can you not? When you look up at the sky on a dark night and see the universe and its complexity it is immense and only an awesome God could have created this world!
    2mothershelpers

Answer by 2mothershelpers at 11:51 AM on Apr. 30, 2009

• my understanding of Atheist's are they do not believe in God or a higher power/deity...
    They are NOT mean spirited people or lack morals... they just don't believe...that is all

Now I think if this person was calling you an Athiest then she may have been implying that you don't believe in God. In a sense I think it's somes way of saying what you believe in is wrong and they are right....

Don't let it bother you my dear... it happens to a lot wither they are Christians or not, some think they are better than everyone else and use hate as their weapon...
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 11:54 AM on Apr. 30, 2009

• I think that any label lately can and is used in a derogatory way. Christian, atheist, Pagan, Republican, Liberal, co-sleepers, etc (you see where I'm going with this). It's just that people choose to use these labels in a way to attack or discredit others that they disagree with. It's basically just fear and ignorance, IMO.
    KelleyP77

Answer by KelleyP77 at 11:58 AM on Apr. 30, 2009

• I am a Firm Believer in Christ. But I do not think its wrong or uneducated of you or anyone to question the scripture. Who ever said that probably just interpretted the question it the wrong way.
    And I hope you do feel better. Dont be sad about the things anons say. :) Todays a new day
    Ashleigh_17

Answer by Ashleigh_17 at 11:58 AM on Apr. 30, 2009

• i dont consider it derogatory but if the person isnt an atheist and finds them term offensive i understand why they would be offended, if what they were expressing wasnt meant to be an atheist point of view.
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 11:58 AM on Apr. 30, 2009

• i think alot of people say it like it is meant to be derogatory, they turn it into something that is. however, i think in most all christian religions, you are supposed to be taught to accept others, not judge. kinda the whole throw the first stone thing? so i say to those who act that way they need to grow up already, and if they really consider themselves "christians" how can they go about judging people? so i guess i'm trying to say i don't consider it derogatory unless someone intends it to be that way, and in that case, they can just kiss my butt
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 11:59 AM on Apr. 30, 2009

• I am sorry your feelings were hurt, but if you are proud of being an athiest than why would this bother you?
    2mothershelpers

Answer by 2mothershelpers at 12:08 PM on Apr. 30, 2009

• I do understand,and I'm sorry your feelings were hurt like that. Believe me, as a Christian, I get called alot of derogatory things, especially when someone calls me a Christian in a mean or derogatory way, like it's a fatal disease or something. Sometimes, we just have to let things roll off our backs. If you are happy the way you are, don't let someone else's ignorance take that away from you. It's only words on the internet.
    Anonymous

• Atheism is one of the last accepted prejudices.  Personally I don't care!  I am happy with who I am and if anyone has a problem with that, then that is THEIR problem, not mine.

What was the post that upset you?  Can you post the link?

beeky

Answer by beeky at 12:30 PM on Apr. 30, 2009

• 2mothershelpers, she said it was used in a derogatory way. You can use a common word in such a way that it is offensive.
    Anonymous