I need bedwetting advice

Hey mommies...My daughter is 10 yrs old. There are times when she will urinate in the bed 3-4 days in a row and there are times when she'll go months without wetting the bed. I've read articles that say don't punish them be patient (blah blah blah). I've been that but it is very frustrating. Especially since she's been potty trained since 3. Has anyone gone thru something like this or have any suggestions?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:48 AM on Apr. 30, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• My daughter is 10 and STILL a bedwetter. We've done the counseling, the doctors exams, everything. People will try to tell you that its psychologiical. But through all the stuff we've done, we've learned that the majority of bedwetters are just deep sleepers. It depends on what cycle of sleep they're in when they begin to urinate. I wouldn' t punish her. Just buy 2 plastic mattress pads at Walmart right next to the pillows, (they're around 5 dollars each), and a couple of extra sets of sheets. When she has an accident, make her change the pad and the sheet. then make her wash her own bedding the next day. This is the latest thing that we are beginning to try. The doctor says if she hates this enough, and if she goes through it EACH time she wets the bed, her subconscious will resent it and it could 'retrain her brain' to make sure she wakes. Good luck.
    almostcrazee

Answer by almostcrazee at 10:39 PM on May. 1, 2009

• Has she been evaluated by a doctor? She could be getting infections, sleeping too soundly, have an overactive bladder. I would not punish her but I would take her to the doctor. If there is nothing physical, then take her to a counselor and see if there is an emotional reason why she bedwets.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 2:08 PM on Apr. 30, 2009

• Given the circumstances you describe, it sounds like there is something going on with your daughter (she's not wetting the bed to piss you off). Punishment at this point would be cruel. You need to find out what the cause is. It could be anything from an infection, over tiredness, a traumatic experience.

I agree with tyfry7496, take her to a Doctor first. If there is nothing physically wrong with her, take her to a counselor.

Most importantly, don't get mad at her, don't yell at her and don't punish her. Be supportive and loving.
    DawnA72

Answer by DawnA72 at 2:51 PM on Apr. 30, 2009

• My son is 9 and still has accidents at night. I would take her to the doctor to rule out something physical, but at 10 that could be emotional stress from school. Maybe start recording it in a calendar and see if there is a pattern? Is she having any problems with friends? Maybe a scary movie she watched? It could truly be anything.
    Anonymous

• I agree with the above poster - keep track of when this happens and check with her teacher to see if there's something different going on at the school on those days - a new sub in class, a certain subject they study on those days - even some food they're serving in the cafeteria!!

Good Luck!
    DevonieJules

Answer by DevonieJules at 4:19 PM on Apr. 30, 2009

• I agree too. Keep a chart of when this happens. What else is going on at these times? And have her evaluated the next time it happens. Make sure she doesn't have some low grade infection that keeps coming back.

In the meantime, keep a waterproof pad on her bed and a spare set of sheets - including another waterproof pad - in her room. Then she can quickly and easily change her own sheets. Also show her how to run the washer and let her know that it's OK to start a load in the morning if she has a bad night. That will give her something positive to do about the problem and make less hassle for you. But be sure to do this in a positive way - not in a "I'm sick of cleaning up after you" way. Make it about her feelings, her privacy, her ability to care for herself and deal with small problems like this.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 4:39 PM on Apr. 30, 2009

• My nephews ALL wet the bed when I first got guardianship. I had one that when he started seeing BM wet the bed every single day for weeks. I know this isn't what your DD is doing but I had a waterproof pad on their mattresses and had them seperate their sheets and put them in the wash. I'd say maybe you should take her to the doctor. Is there any sort of unusual stress going on in her life? PP had a good idea about writing down when she does it, we did that too. It will help you see a pattern that otherwise you might not see.
    mlregalado

Answer by mlregalado at 6:18 PM on Apr. 30, 2009

• my poor mom had to deal with my bed wetting. i did it every nite!! they did like a little surgery or whatever..they got this mat with a buzzer so when u pee it goes off so u can go potty. well..the buzzer went off..i was screaming..woke everybody up and almost fell off my top bunk. sorry to say..not that this may be ur situation..but...i peed my bed til i was 14!! when i got my period..i was 'potty trained'. that is my story. good luck!!
    ta2craze

Answer by ta2craze at 10:43 PM on Apr. 30, 2009

• from: Anonymous who posted the ques.

You moms are all awesome. You all gave such wonderful answers. I wanted to hear all suggestions so I didn't want to give too much info at 1st

She has been evaluated by her doctor, she has no infection. She loves school, makes friends easily, always happy. I truly believe she is overtired and sleeping too hard. It is very hard to wake her up. I said it was getting frustrated because she told me the other day that some nights it's too cold to get up. So I explained to her if her body is waking her up she needs to go to the bathroom regardless and to dress warmer for bed. :-) I have cut down her liquid intake, made her bedtime earlier, and wake her up 2 tms a night. She changes her own sheets and sometimes washes them too.

I may have been hard on her a couple of times, but I think twice next time because like DAWNA72 said she's not doing it to piss me off.
    Thankx agn
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:48 AM on May. 1, 2009

• Thanks almostcrazee...love the name. We are at the same crossroads as you right now. Funny thing is I was planning on going to Walmart and get the plastic pads today, never thought to get 2 though. Will do.
    Anonymous