What do you think of bootcamp ?

I have a nephew who is hanging with the wrong crowed
my sister had thought a bout putting him in bootcamp
and I'm not to sure how that works please let me know any suggestions .
Thanks

musicm22

Asked by musicm22 at 11:59 AM on Apr. 30, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• Its meant to teach him disipline, self respect, and responsibility in a military fashion. It depends on him how its going to work for him!!! Some go and come back seem changed until about 2 weeks later others it sticks.
    ladyd6280

Answer by ladyd6280 at 12:02 PM on Apr. 30, 2009

• I recently just graduauted highschool from a boot camp.
    Is this the National Gaurd Youth Challenge Program? If it is, I very much recommend this program. Honestly, when I went in, it felt like punishment, but as I went through it, I look back and it helped me with a lot of the problems I had inside myself and it brought me closer to God.
    I have more discipline, and I know whats best for me.
    They also help you with schooling, they work on getting you a GED ( for sure ) and also bring you closer to your highschool diploma.
    Yes, its a tough process, but the results are wonderful.

And Noooooo. Its not "Brain wash" as some of my old "friends" called it.
    Ashleigh_17

Answer by Ashleigh_17 at 12:05 PM on Apr. 30, 2009

• I forgot to mention he is 13Yr
    musicm22

Answer by musicm22 at 12:14 PM on Apr. 30, 2009

• Military School - New York Military Academy in Cornwall NY.  It is an awsome school and really helps troubled kids.

- http://www.ramblingsofasahm.com/

Vanessannd

Answer by Vanessannd at 1:30 PM on Apr. 30, 2009

• Oh :P
    Ashleigh_17

Answer by Ashleigh_17 at 1:43 PM on Apr. 30, 2009

• The only boot camps I could find were so expensive! The only way to get him in in ga is to file charges on him and the state recomends boot camp. I think thats stupid, give your child a juvenile record so he can go to camp.
    Anonymous

• I'm a mom of 2 teen boys & 2 teen stepsons, If you feel that it will help then do it. Tough Love is sometimes what we STRONG parents need to do. I know it may sound rough putting your nephew in boot camp, but I'm sure you'd rather see him there than in Juvi at a later date. I personnaly would try some other things first like maybe finding out why he feel like he needs to hang with this crowd of kids. I'd make sure he was supervised at all times. Kids are gonna do kid things. I was the bad apple in my day & I'm now a Great Parent and I'm very involved with my children. When kids hang out in "THE BAD CROWD" there is usually a reason why they are doing this, they are searching for some type of acceptance. Good luck. Tell your sis & you to take it one day at a time and make sure that the kid feels loved.
    Me2dznb

Answer by Me2dznb at 5:37 PM on May. 2, 2009

• I am all for boot camp, but make sure where ever they go is licensed by the state - some states do not require licenses, so make sure he goes somewhere that is regulated. Then off he goes.
    texassahm

Answer by texassahm at 6:35 PM on May. 2, 2009

• A part of me does not like boot camp I think it depends what kind of system they run and how well do they run the system to be sure the kids are not overly used, abused or worked. I do believe in positive reinforcement also... At the same time I am aware that some teens just really head down the wrong path even the best parents just have the worse stroke of luck... I do think some kids need it and it can be a life savior for both families and the kids. BUT! I also believe that the parents TOO should go through some counseling and training, and not just leave it up to the Camp to do all the work.
    TheFriskyKitty

Answer by TheFriskyKitty at 5:31 PM on May. 4, 2009