5 year old starting pooping in Backyard??

In the past month or so my 5 year old has started sneaking in the backyard and pooping...she will either say she doesn't want to come in side or she did it because she was mad at us. I have tried over and over again to get her to stop and I caught her again yesterday...has anyone else dealt with this? If so, what did you do? Thanks.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:01 PM on Apr. 30, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Wow, that is very odd. Is she actually sneaking out of the house to do this? Or is it when she's already outside playing? If she is sneaking out, I would wonder if perhaps it has a very strong odor that she is ashamed of? The only real suggestion I have would be to take her to the dr to be sure nothing is wrong, and then just discipline if she does it. Maybe that if she does it she can't play outside that day, or the next day, or whatever?
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 2:54 PM on Apr. 30, 2009

• Does she like to act like animals?? Cause they go outside maybe she is imitating them. I would tell her if she acts tat way she is not allowed outside.
    IMAMOM2-2KIDS

Answer by IMAMOM2-2KIDS at 3:18 PM on Apr. 30, 2009

• She is already outside most of the time...I don't know if I should be worried, its very odd behavior. We have gotten on to her saying only animals go potty outside, and if she has to potty while playing she can go right back out...yesterday she did it because she was mad we all went outside and she wanted to still play. Should I try not making a big deal out of it?
    Anonymous

• At least she isn't doing it in her pants. I know that isn't comforting to you but I have a 7y/o that poops his pants. He went in his room(right next to the bathroom) to poop in his pants two days ago.
    mlregalado

Answer by mlregalado at 6:00 PM on Apr. 30, 2009

• Well I can relate a bit. My 4 yr old pooped outside twice. We have dogs in yard, and he said he couldn't make it inside. But I think our shock and my DH reaction scared him so since then he has never done that again. Yeah I would get to root of it figure out why first then deal with it sooner better than later. Good Luck!
    leovirgo_mom3

Answer by leovirgo_mom3 at 6:46 PM on Apr. 30, 2009

• It sounds like she just doesn't want to stop what she's doing, that's not unusual. But I would make her clean it up! I't's not sanitary, and maybe it will grows her out enough to make her stop. Try not to get angry, just matter of fact, now she has to clean it up!
    Clarkebar2

Answer by Clarkebar2 at 11:43 PM on Apr. 30, 2009

• Umm...no advice here....I just wanted to come clean because I used to be the girl who did this. And sadly my dog Hank at the time would eat it! Best of luck to ya and I do think that she'll eventually grow outta this, it can only last so long you know!
    Anonymous

• I'm sorry your daughter has been doing this, but I'm also relieved to hear that my kid is not the only one. :) I just caught my 4.5 yo son for the first time with his pants down pooping in the backyard. After punishing him (told him to go inside and that he couldn't play with the other kids) I then went on the internet to see if others do this as well. For him it is just a laziness issue, that he doesn't want to stop and play to go inside, even though he knows he can go right back outside. I know he has asked in the past if he can pee outside (always say no), but today was a first. I told him that he isn't a dog or a wild animal and that what he did was not acceptable. Then I started reading other posts and O am totally disgusted by reading that tjere are some other kids that actually eat poop! Hopefully with the summer approaching and being outside all the time, this will never happen again.
    Anonymous