I want to stop breastfeeding!

She is biting me, pinching me, scratching me, and kicking me. It is not pleasant even a little bit anymore. Not to mention that my back is killing me. She is keeping me up all night, and I can't even look at her without her want me to hold her (even if someone else is already holding her!) She is not really even giving her dad a chance because all she wants is me. She is 10 months old, how do I get her to stop this behavior, or is it already too late?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:14 PM on Apr. 30, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• have you tried a distraction? you can try a nursing necklace. it doesnt have to be a fancy expensive one, but even a necklace which wont break easy. do you use a nursing pillow?
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 12:16 PM on Apr. 30, 2009

• If youre relaxed and comfortable, baby will be too. So pick a comfy spot and set yourself up before you nurse. Nursing pillows are amazing, you should get one if you dont have one. I put socks over my LO's hands to prevent scratching. As for kicking, when LO kicks or bits, break the latch and wait a couple minutes before nursing again. Tell LO why you are stopping, and firmly say no. There may be crying, but eventually they will get the idea.
    serioussifL

Answer by serioussifL at 12:19 PM on Apr. 30, 2009

• When they started biting me thats when I just stopped.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 12:21 PM on Apr. 30, 2009

• I have tried a pacifier, a bottle with water, I wear necklace's all the time for her to play with, and my back is hurting mostly because of the weight of my breasts, they are now officially DD's, and I am only 5'1"! Straps are really hurting me now and along with all the scratches and bruises I now am starting to get what looks like a heat rash from them being so big.
    Anonymous

• She likes to bite down and then pull on my nipple. Yesterday, I had to feed her in public, (my older daughter was getting an award, and the little one wanted to nurse right before I knew my older one was going to be called up), anyway, I had a hard time getting to her fast enough without revealing myself to the whole school. Well that hurt. And I didn't want to reprimand her and make her cry right then and there. But at home I do stop her, and she cries for a while, but it doesn't seem as if she is getting it.
    Anonymous

• Well when DD is hungary and DH is home, leave so he can feed her with a bottle. But usually as long as you are in the room, she will want to nurse. So it's best to just leave.
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 12:35 PM on Apr. 30, 2009

• Kellymom has a great page "When Baby Bites" with lots of helpful tips on how to manage annyoing behaviors like you describe.

This is also a common age for baby to only want mommy.  Weaning probably won't change that part.

Also see "Feeling overwhelmed by baby's intense needs"

maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 1:25 PM on Apr. 30, 2009

• My boys all went through that. I would abruptly pick them up and turn them away from the breast and cover up. Then after a few minutes I would let them nurse again. I would keep it up a few times. If they continued to pinch/scratch/bite I would put them on the floor and be done nursing. I would get up an do something else. I let them cry if they wanted to.
    It is a hard time to push through...for each of my boys it lasted about four weeks.
    Good luck.
    If it gets to the point you are too frustrated, then it is ok to stop. 10 months of breastfeeding is wonderful for your baby.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 2:02 PM on Apr. 30, 2009

• Congratulations on making it 10 months! This may be her way of letting you know she wants to start weaning. If you want to stop then go ahead and stop. There is absolutely nothing wrong with weaning her at this age. As for her wanting you to hold her all the time and not wanting anyone but you, that's totally normal at this age too. My nine month old wants me to hold her all the time too. She'll still let other people hold her, but I think a lot of that is because we live with my mother and are always around family. Anyway, she'll grow out of it. I suggest not holding her all the time anyway. She has to learn that you cannot hold her every second of the day and she needs to learn to self soothe. But try and enjoy it (although I know it's hard because you can't get anything done!). Eventually our kids will be teenagers and hate us no matter what we do when they are babies. LOL!
    Anonymous

• Biting while breastfeeding is your first discipline issue. When she bites you, pull her off your breast with a firm NO!. She will get the message.
    The World Health Organization recommends breast feeding for a minimum of 2 years.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:13 PM on Apr. 30, 2009