Is there anything you can do for cradle cap that won't make thier hair fall out?

This is my second baby and he has cradle cap at the top of his head. My first son also had cradle cap when he was a baby but the stuff I put on him made his hair fall out. I was wondering if there is anything you can do that will get rid of the cradle cap without making them loose thier hair.

mindyf12

Asked by mindyf12 at 12:16 PM on Apr. 30, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• what I did to help loosen it on my son was putting a little vaseline on him before a bath, then wash it off with baby shampoo after a good lather and once rinsed brush it out with a baby brush (very soft bristles) while his hair was wet. it took a few tries because it was so thick, but eventually it was all gone! and I never noticed hair loss
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 12:20 PM on Apr. 30, 2009

• I always used baby oil to remove cradle cap. A pill to wash out, but it worked for me.
    Mangy_Momma

Answer by Mangy_Momma at 12:18 PM on Apr. 30, 2009

• I've never heard of a baby lose their hair b/c of cradle cap, but w/my DD, I never actually put anything on it. Someone told me this trick and it worked for her...when you are bathing your baby, take a baby brush and brush it kind of hard (but not hard enough to hurt them) in a circular motion.
    ABPeterson

Answer by ABPeterson at 12:18 PM on Apr. 30, 2009

• Baby oil and a brush. Our daughter had it and once it all cleared up we continued to use a soft brush to wash her hair. Their hair can fall out with or without the medicine our daughters fell out at 6 weeks old and then grew in blonde when she was born with jet black curly hair. You can try the cradle cap medicine they sell in the baby aisle or just baby oil and scrubbing it with the cradle cap brush.
    brailynsmama08

Answer by brailynsmama08 at 12:19 PM on Apr. 30, 2009

• It is over the counter but you have to ask you pharmacist for it. Johnson and Johnson makes it. It is called Meted Shampoo, pronounced just like it is spelled. It is a little bottle of yellow shampoo and it is pretty pricy but it works great! Use the little scrub brush they give you in the hospital. It has a funny smell, their little heads almost smell burnt, I think it has charcoal in it. Worked wonders for my son, good luck.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 12:19 PM on Apr. 30, 2009

• baby oil and comb
    nerdyma7

Answer by nerdyma7 at 12:25 PM on Apr. 30, 2009

• my ped said dont use baby oil they say it makes it worse we have a cat and she licks the babys head and gets it off
    mom-to-be21

Answer by mom-to-be21 at 12:49 PM on Apr. 30, 2009

• Olive oil and a fine tooth comp. Baby oil is fine, as long as it is not mineral oil and is something edible.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:05 PM on Apr. 30, 2009