Why does my daughter throw up when shes on her tummy?

She's 5 months and has acid reflux I'm not sure if that has anything to do with this problem but she throws up a lot when i lay her on her tummy to play. Today she threw up 3 times while on her tummy in a 10 minute period. And she cries a lot too, mainly after she throws up. She rolls over just fine but i'm worried shes not getting enough excercise playing on her tummy. I don't want her having an upset stomach either.

kristajoy

Asked by kristajoy at 12:18 PM on Apr. 30, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• How soon after she is fed do you lay her down? With acid reflux you should keep her elevated for about 30 minutes to allow her stomach to settle and to begin digesting it. Try putting her in a swing or jumper or a walker for a little bit before laying her down. Can she roll over yet? If she is rolling then let her roll when she is ready.
    brailynsmama08

Answer by brailynsmama08 at 12:23 PM on Apr. 30, 2009

• Maybe it's putting pressure on her tummy too much. I know with my son, after a bottle we couldn't do tummy time for a while because he would just spit it all back up. How soon are you putting her on her tummy after she eats? If it's within 30 minutes, wait longer.
    nerdyma7

Answer by nerdyma7 at 12:25 PM on Apr. 30, 2009

• i feel u my baby is the same age and has acid reflux to and does this all the time the sad thing is if im busy and dont notice it he ends up pittin his head in it and eats it again thats grose
    mom-to-be21

Answer by mom-to-be21 at 12:47 PM on Apr. 30, 2009

• leave her upright for 30 minutes at least after she is done eating. try adding a little bit of rice cereal to her bottle to help with the reflux. if you have a boppy or a stiff pillow lay her chest on that so she is partially up decreasing the reflux. also try helping her out by rolling her over once a minute to her back, then to tummy. this way she is getting her tummy time, getting used to rolling over, and she is content with less upchucking!

Always
    ~Syl~
    Fae-Lee
    F43L34

Answer by F43L34 at 1:36 PM on Apr. 30, 2009