patty cake and pointing

I tried to find what age babies suppose to start pointing and play patty cake but i could not, do you have any idea? i know each baby is different but i would like to know the average age for both things, thank you

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:37 PM on Apr. 30, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• i asked about pointing yesterday! my son is 1. he doesnt point yet but SO and I point all the time so I think he'll eventually "get it". as for pat-a-cake, I play it with my son all the time. I always try to encourage him to clap my hands, or his own hands, or I clap my hands in front of him. he has recently started bopping up and down to the rhythm of the song which is neat and a good sign he'll start understanding the game soon! around 10 m/o is when he really started initiating playing peek-a-boo, so yes he definately takes it all in!
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 12:41 PM on Apr. 30, 2009

• My son pointed at about 8 or 9 months, but, he was really ahead. He also clapped even earlier. Some kids I have seen will not even attemped at 18 months.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 1:49 PM on Apr. 30, 2009

• I don't know about playing patty cake alone... but my son enjoys it if we help him. He can clap on his own though and he started that at 8 months. He doesn't point yet and is 9 months now.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 1:51 PM on Apr. 30, 2009

• Pointing is usually between 12 and 14 months. Patty cake depends on what you expect the child to do... just hold his hands up so you can tap his palms? 7,8 months. Actually do patty cake with you, clapping his hands together and then tapping your palms, making all the hand motions? 24 to 36 months.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 2:58 PM on Apr. 30, 2009