How do you deal with a temperamental 3 year old that refuses to listen?

My 3 year old son refuses to listen to me. When I ask him to pick up his toys, leave his brother alone, etc. It is really starting to wear on me. I have tried just about everything with him. Is this perhaps just a phase?

MrsBookworm

Asked by MrsBookworm at 12:43 PM on Apr. 30, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Its a phase and he is testing you. Consistency is all he needs and a strict punishment. If he wont pick up his toys then get a trash bag and pick them up and hide them and tell him they are in the trash. If he wont leave his brother alone then put him in his room alone or in time out. If he continues to pick on him then remove him each time and don't let him get away with it.
    brailynsmama08

Answer by brailynsmama08 at 12:45 PM on Apr. 30, 2009

• put him under a desk(time out) and let him cry it out he may just need a good cry and go to sleep.
    2mothershelpers

Answer by 2mothershelpers at 12:48 PM on Apr. 30, 2009

• My son has been testing me lately as well, it is as brailyn. said, consistency in discipline, and teaching him to pick up his toys.
    Anonymous

• Well phase or not he needs to learn to respect you!
    2mothershelpers

Answer by 2mothershelpers at 12:53 PM on Apr. 30, 2009

• Yeah that is my biggest thing. The lack of respect. Arggh. I guess I am not being consistent enough. This parenting stuff is hard work ;) But you gotta love em!
    MrsBookworm

Answer by MrsBookworm at 12:55 PM on Apr. 30, 2009

• get down to his level. have him look at you while you speak and kindly ask him to do as told. and give simple to understand consequences. Ex: Tommy can you please pick up yer toys? If you do, you can do/have "this". If you dont "this will happen". I do this with my 3 year old and it works great. There are times when he rebels and he gets the bad consequence and of course throws a tantrum. when he does...i just give him another one. when they agree thank them. when they have completed a task (picking up toys) praise them even more.
    crazyfunmom

Answer by crazyfunmom at 9:30 PM on Apr. 30, 2009

• I am glad that I am not the only one...I was about to ask this question myself!
    mommytobrooke

Answer by mommytobrooke at 9:39 PM on Apr. 30, 2009

• i found this book to be very helpful...123 magic effective discipline for children 2-12 by thomas w. phelan, ph.d.
    cttnavywife

Answer by cttnavywife at 1:17 PM on May. 1, 2009