How many years do you think is too long between kids?

I am 24 and our son will be 4 this summer. I am starting college courses which will run 18 months. My husband supports my choice but wants another baby right after I graduate. I will be 26 when I graduate and my son will be 5. By the time I actually have another kid I could be 27 with a 6 yr old. Is this a good age? I mean I am not changing my mind regardless but...I didn't know at what age they become jealous and all that. I have heard so many things. Everyone expected a baby this year and was surprised to hear I had other plans. So I have been hearing it's too long and whatever. Just wondering what you all thought.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:46 PM on Apr. 30, 2009 in General Parenting

• Well at 6 the older one will be in school so you can still have that time with the baby. They can be jealous at any age but usually the younger they are the harder it is. At his age he has been around other kids so he knows he doesn't get 100% of the time and attention. Its all based on what you feel is right for you. I know some who waited 13 years and others who waited 2 months after their first and they all have their issues.
    brailynsmama08

Answer by brailynsmama08 at 12:50 PM on Apr. 30, 2009

• When you are too old to take care of a second child, that's when there is too much time inbetween kids
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 12:49 PM on Apr. 30, 2009

• my sons are 8 yrs apart and have a sweet relationship! A lot less fighting and the older is very gentle and helps babysit and enertain him.
    Anonymous

• To help You son not be Jealous of another child is how well you prepair him for it too. They can still be close even with serveral years inbetween them .. good luck in school too
    Shaqbe4u

Answer by Shaqbe4u at 12:55 PM on Apr. 30, 2009

• We had a second when our first was 3. Then a fcouple months later he was 4. He is now very helpful and they play together. Don't be worried that he will be 6 and get jealous. Just talk to him, prepare him for another baby no matter how old they are.
    MommaM2

Answer by MommaM2 at 1:06 PM on Apr. 30, 2009

• My youngest two are 18 months apart and i love it! the two year old tries to play with the 5 month old. he will bring her toys and sit and show her stuff while she is sitting in her chair. Our oldest is 15 and then 12. Hubby said them being 3 years apart was good since he was only buying one set of diapers then. Vannah is 9 and he said the other two who at the time were 7 at the time she was born didnt like her because she took away thier daddy.
    - www.RamblingsOFaSAHM.com
    Vanessannd

Answer by Vanessannd at 1:26 PM on Apr. 30, 2009

• I ask myself this question all the time! My daughter is only 18 months and I plan to start school soon, but I will be there for 4 years. I had such a close bond with my sister, who was conceived when I was my DD's age, and I want that for her. So I'm trying to figure out when it will be too late for that particular bond. I know that at any age siblings can have a good relationship and I'm probably taking too much from my own experience and placing it on my situation now. But most of the same sex siblings I know who are more than three or four year apart, HATED each other growing up. My sis and I fought, but not as much and we were also best friends. So conflicting!
    ErinHill226

Answer by ErinHill226 at 3:22 PM on Apr. 30, 2009

• Ours are 12, 6 and 5, the 12 and 6 yr old fight constantly, but the 12 yr old and the 5 yr old never fight, go figure,lol Our 5 and 6 yr old are best friends, I call them salt and pepper, you can't have one without the other,lol I don't think it matters, as long as it works for you and everyones happy, then the kids will be.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 3:30 PM on Apr. 30, 2009

• our son is 8 and we are trying for another one now, I think its when we deside and hubby too:]:]:];];]
    momindistress08

Answer by momindistress08 at 4:48 PM on Apr. 30, 2009

• well Ummmm my oldest two were 13 and 10 when the baby was born. So older than that. : )
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 5:16 PM on Apr. 30, 2009