I am pregnant- should I wear a mask to prevent swine flu?

I know pregnant women are at a higher risk - should I wear a mask? Is that crazy? I have Dr's appointments coming up - so should I wear a mask to those? I know people are supposed to wash hands, ect- BUT I keep seeing sick people who DON"T do that!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:02 PM on Apr. 30, 2009 in Pregnancy

• The mask will not keep it out. The H1n1 is tiny and will get right in.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 1:03 PM on Apr. 30, 2009

• I'm pregnant and on friday i'm getting a mask. I'm scared of this Swine Flu! I'm going to protect my young! ~Heather~
    heathertilton08

Answer by heathertilton08 at 1:10 PM on Apr. 30, 2009

• It will not help. The virus is tiny and will seep right through. Just washh your hands and use sanitizer.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 1:13 PM on Apr. 30, 2009

• They are right. It won't help. Just stay home for a little while.
    Anonymous

• I heard masks won't help either. Wash regularly and use santizer, Stay home if sick so you don't spread it, if you have to sneeze or couch do it in your elbow rather than your hand.
    MommaM2

Answer by MommaM2 at 1:18 PM on Apr. 30, 2009

• Your baby is in a separate environment than you. Baby should be fine. Momma will be more likely to get it though.
    lilbit022009

Answer by lilbit022009 at 1:50 PM on Apr. 30, 2009

• If you have to sneeze or cough do it in a tissue, throw it out and wash your hands. That elbow thing is crap! Have you ever watched somebody sneeze into their elbow. It flies over, it flies under. It flies everywhere at about 80 miles an hour! Who came up with that totally dumb idea? Don't cough into your hand, just leave it there and go touch a door knob or pick up the phone! The only reason to use your elbow is that you can't open a door with it!
    LoveMyDog

Answer by LoveMyDog at 2:02 PM on Apr. 30, 2009

• I feel you, i am scared because, at the end of may i have to fly back home, from Washington DC to Oregon, it is about a 7+ hr plane ride,and i am 4months pregnant! i am terrified about being in such a small space with this sickness going on!!!
    Doesnt help that Joe Biden said not to do it, but i need to get back home to my hubby!!
    Mommy2be180

Answer by Mommy2be180 at 3:07 PM on Apr. 30, 2009

• i'm so upset...i went to the grocery store the other day and had my food on the counter ready to check-out and the lady in front of me was coughing (without holding her mouth), I turned the other way and held my breathe...and then she has nerve to tel the cashier that she just got back from a cruise in mexico...and how she missed work today but she has to go back tomorrow feeling awful. i'm thinking, hurry up and leave already...and we used the same pen to sign our names with...i barely held it and dropped it as soon as i could... i took a shower when i got home and sanitized with chlorox wipes everything i touched...car wheel, door handles, house door knobs, etc. seriously, i just hope that lady was just saying that to get some sort of attention and just has allergies. i'm pregnant and have a 17 month old... it's just wrong if people are going to be out and start talking about it, like it's nothing. how rude
    GreekMama28

Answer by GreekMama28 at 12:59 AM on May. 1, 2009