my dog wont stop humping

i have an 8 year old yorkie who was fixed when he was a pup. he just started humping my other dogs bed about 6 months ago and he wont stop. he even gets really aggressive towards me when i try to get him to stop, or even if i walk past him, and hes never been aggressive. any suggestions?? should i try to make him stop while hes doing it?? oh and he rarely does it when my husband is around, and will stop immediately for him.

sweetjpea

Asked by sweetjpea at 1:08 PM on Apr. 30, 2009 in Pets

• My answer is to seperate them I have dogs and my saint bernard does that to our boxer so I seperate them I have kennels though.
    monica-alvarez

Answer by monica-alvarez at 1:14 PM on Apr. 30, 2009

• I have a dog as well... They can be a hand full sometimes. However, when she does things that she is not supposed to do, I spray her with water. You can buy a water bottle from the dollar store. It works when they are barking for no reason, trying to chew things, or humping...LOL My dog hates it when I have the water bottle. Most the time I do not even have to spray her anymore. I just have to show her the bottle.
    gsb198205

Answer by gsb198205 at 1:15 PM on Apr. 30, 2009

• what position in the pack does this dog have? it is also done for dominance. Apparently he thinks you are lower on the pack rung too, so he doesn't stop. He respects hubby and has him higher up in the pack level.

I typed
    "how do I stop my dog from humping another dog" in yahoo and a bunch of sites came up.. good luck.
    blujeanlady62

Answer by blujeanlady62 at 4:34 PM on Apr. 30, 2009

• she didn't say the dog was humping another dog it said was humping the other dogs bed. i would regain your pack leader status and make sure that you claim that bed as yours not his. what you do is when he starts to head to the bed you stop him at the pass and stand in his way. walk towards him to get him to move back away from it. if he gets past you touch with your foot on his side between rib cage and hind quarters to get his mind on you and off the bed. or you can make a noise to get his attention before he reaches the bed. after you get his attention claim the bed as yours. you must do this until he finally releases you won and he should just walk away and either lay down or just sit there. remember your stature and your energy tells a dog who is pack leader and if he is getting aggressive with you he is asserting to you to back off. your pack leader and a touch shows him so. especailly on his neck but don't do it.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 4:52 PM on Apr. 30, 2009

• I'm sorry, I really don't mean to seem crass in saying this, but PLEASE people... lay off the dog whisperer episode advice. If a person doesn't know how to issue a correction properly the result you see will be a bite or other bad behavior from your dog... avoidance comes to mind. You don't want your dog to avoid you, that is not respect.

To the OP... if you are truly interested in gaining your dogs respect, start by implementing a strict program of NILIF (http://k9deb.com/nilif.htm). This is a positive way to help train and reinforce training through positive methods rather than force. Dogs do not respond to force in the way that some folks tend to think they do, and when you FORCE a dog to comply all you're really doing is suppressing unwanted behavior which could actually progress into more difficult to deal with issues. A water bottle could yield the same poor results, as per the example given above.. (con't below)
    DiamondTiger

Answer by DiamondTiger at 9:31 PM on Apr. 30, 2009

• The poster said the dogs have to see the bottle before they'll stop the unwanted behavior... but if the behavior has been corrected, transformed, a water bottle shouldn't even be necessary right?

Try leashing your dog to you and teaching it a recall by targeting your hand. Never use the dogs name when scolding or this will only serve to lessen the value of hearing its name and the dog will tune you out and ignore your cue to come when called. To teach targeting, simply place two fingers on the dogs nose and say "Good" then give a treat. Repeat this until the dog will purposefully touch your two fingers with its nose when you hold them out. When the dog does this begin loading your recall cue... ie: "Name. Come." There's no need to sound harsh, but instead sound happy and make it fun. When the dog touches your fingers with its nose, treat. Keep the dog leashed and then step back and ask the dog to come to you using the same t
    DiamondTiger

Answer by DiamondTiger at 9:35 PM on Apr. 30, 2009

• ran out of room lol sorry

Yeah, keep the dog leashed and then step back and cue the dog to come using the same technique consistently. This will not happen over night, but dogs are smart and when given structure and consistent training such as this, they become pretty reliable rather fast. When you have him recalling on cue, you can keep him on a long line (20 leash you can buy at any petstore) to help aid in redirecting his attention to something better and more fun than humping the bed. Ultimately what you want to do is replace the bad behavior with something that's okay for the dog to do, a stuffed and frozen kong is wonderful for this.

Good luck! :-)
    DiamondTiger

Answer by DiamondTiger at 9:38 PM on Apr. 30, 2009

• Oh I read wrong aren't you the one melody 77 who gave up their boxer?Iknow you did.You are no authority to give advice on dogs.No where would I take advice from a irresponsible dog owner I have 2 boxers and two saint bernards and before I think about getting my dogs such as purchashing I think Oh do I have a husge backyard ,do I have the time,the energy and here is a big one oh the money bingo.So I read the question wrong well you can put the dog on a leash every time your dog does that and tell him no and pull the doggie back.God luck.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:44 AM on May. 1, 2009