how can i make my 3 year old eat something besides hambergers and speg.he refuses to eat.

i cant get him to want to eat he likes nothen not even french frys he dont like mac& cheese he only likes grilled cheese speg. hambergers he dont even like much candy or ice cream. WHAT CAN I DO TO GET HIM TO EAT!!THINGS LIKE VEGGIES WOULD BE NICE.we eat it but he wants something differant every time HELP PLEASE!

crazymomat5

Asked by crazymomat5 at 1:21 PM on Apr. 30, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I have to say prsonally I think the best way to do it is full force.DONT serve grilled cheese or speggeti for 2 weeks.My 3 year old is a fairly good eater btu I believe that is because of my approach.We SIT at the table-very important and he starts with a glass of milk or v-8 juice (btw sounds like a good addition to his diet) and his food.He ALWAYS wants more to drink because I do not let him have a sippy there for he only gets drinks at meal and snack time unless he asks but regardless hes not walking around with a cup all day.So when he asks for more I say you need to eat some of your food first.Take one bite of ____ and a bite of _____ and you can have some water.He will promply say but i want juice or milk..which ever and I reply well you can have water if you take a bite of __________&________ but when you finish your food then you can have juice or milk.Desert is not a bad idea offer him a jello or pudding..(cont)
    Chrystal_A

Answer by Chrystal_A at 1:31 PM on Apr. 30, 2009

• or even a fruit cup if he eats what you expect him too.Do not start out with large servings either.Do not allow him to have anything else if he doesnt eat dinner.Some times you have to be firm.If your child is a healthy (mentally and physically) kid then he will NOT starve himself.
    Chrystal_A

Answer by Chrystal_A at 1:33 PM on Apr. 30, 2009

• My son is sooooo picky. He is now 4 almost 5 but he says he wants to be just like daddy and we told him if he wants to grow up big and strong like daddy then he has to eat his veggies like daddy. We make comments when he eats them that his muscles are growing a little bit. My husband also told him he can't have frech fries until he starts eating other veggies. He gets enthusiastic about it now. He eats broccoli, peas, carrots, squash, zuccini(sp) now. Not lots but he eats what we give him. I got in the BAD habit of making him something different at every meal. I think it's ridiculous. I stopped, I will not add sauce to pasta or something if he will argue about it but he has to eat what we eat or at least try it. I don't make something special for him unless it's a special occasion. I just got my son to eat grilled cheese, spaghetti, etc. He hates ranch, but will eat ketchup. Just make him try new things and don't make him...
    MommaM2

Answer by MommaM2 at 1:33 PM on Apr. 30, 2009

• anything else if he wont eat it.
    MommaM2

• I agree with MommaM2...we did it and our son is the same. Encourage him to try new foods and if he does then offer him dessert too.
    Anonymous

• Have 3 set meal times each day and no more than 2 SMALL snacks.
    Limit milk to 20 ounces or less each day. Limit juice to 4 ounces a day. He can have all the water he wants but the others will fill him up and are not as good for him as food.

He eats what is served or he can wait until the next meal. He won't starve. If he wants to dip everything in ranch dressing or ketchup, fine. But no special meals, no extra snacks.

And yes, try the "you need good foods to grow up big and strong" trick. I've had good luck with it too. Not great but better.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 2:54 PM on Apr. 30, 2009

• I wrote a journal a while back on what works for my son. He is soooo picky! Visit my site and take a look hopefully that will help!
    usbornebooksdh

Answer by usbornebooksdh at 2:59 PM on Apr. 30, 2009

• I'm with kaycee on this one.

Fix his plate and put it in front of him. If he eats it, great, if not...nothing until the next MEAL...not snack. Even if it's supper time and he has to go until breakfast. Just don't make his favorites for awhile.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 5:00 PM on Apr. 30, 2009

• Do not feed him what you do not want him to eat. You can try giving him veggie burgers instead of animal burgers. When you do give him spagetti, be sure that it is whole grain and not the white stuff. The only beverage he needs is water. If you do not think that he is eating a healty diet, then give him a multi-vitamin every couple of days. Give him dips for veggies, like hummus or ranch dressing. Give him cooked beans, baked sweet potato "fries", smashed avocado on toast, etc.. Keep giving him a variety of foods and he will eat them when he gets hungry enough.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:37 PM on Apr. 30, 2009

• my son went thru a phase like that. what i did with my son was use a cookie cutter. like i'd make him ham and cheese sandwich and use a cookie cutter in different shapes and cut the sandwich into a few different shapes. then he didnt pay attention to what was in the sandwich he jus ate it cuz it looked cool to him lol. he use to always say he didnt like ham and that it was gross. but once it was made in shapes he loved it. and i jus encouraged him to try different things but i'd never force a child to eat somthing they dont' like at this age. if they refuse to eat something just try to give it to them at another time. and from my experience i'd never give a child something to drink first before eating. especially if it's something they refused to eat in the past. because what my son use to do was drink all his milk first then not eat because he was full from his milk.
    jme0408

Answer by jme0408 at 8:28 PM on Apr. 30, 2009