What should I do? MY MIL Passed away and

My MIL just passed away she is Puerto Rican and I don't know what to do?? She is Catholic, and I know she would want candles, Does anyone know how I go about it, I mean in my home for my husband?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:22 PM on Apr. 30, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I'm so sorry. Could you call her church and ask this question?
    timelessglass

Answer by timelessglass at 1:24 PM on Apr. 30, 2009

• I would maybe set up a little altar with a small statue of the Blessed Mother and Jesus. You can put a picture of her and her son together. A candle to burn in her memory. Maybe a rosary or anything she might like.
    I am sorry for your loss, it is a sweet thing for you to make a place for remembrance for your husband.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 1:28 PM on Apr. 30, 2009

• I would get candles and flowers...just to show him you took the time and care. Sorry for your loss.
    army_wife2000

Answer by army_wife2000 at 1:29 PM on Apr. 30, 2009

• What candles?? the white ones?
    KFree907

Answer by KFree907 at 1:30 PM on Apr. 30, 2009

• Sorry to hear about your loss. Call her church or the funeral director and ask what they think.
    I am Puerto Rican and have heard of some kind of tradition where you have like prayer vigils at your house when someone passes away. You have get togethers and say the rosary for like 7 days straight or something like that. Not sure what exactly you are asking?
    mamaada

Answer by mamaada at 1:31 PM on Apr. 30, 2009

• The white ones they sell them in the super market shoprite I believe, the statue should be blessed, I believe.
    KFree907

Answer by KFree907 at 1:31 PM on Apr. 30, 2009

• Some stores like walmart have the religious candles. They are about 7in high and have pics of the virgin mary and other saints. They should have the meaning behind the candle and its purpose for use somwhere on the candle!!! if not seek a hispanic person and ask for help!!! We are appreciative of those wanting to explore our culture!!! Sorry I couldn't be more helpful, I grew up Jehovah's Witness and wasn't taught everything about beliefs and the superstions!!!
    ladyd6280

Answer by ladyd6280 at 1:32 PM on Apr. 30, 2009

• I would call the church ,and turn to God for comfort.
    God bless
    mo2a27

Answer by mo2a27 at 1:42 PM on Apr. 30, 2009

• I am sure your city has a Catholic supply store. Look in the phone book under religious gifts. They will be able to tell you the right candles and other things you may need. They can also tell you the traditions of the PR people.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 1:45 PM on Apr. 30, 2009

• Call your local Catholic Church they can steer you in the right direction. They may even have some things for you to put in your home. I am sorry for your loss.
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 1:52 PM on Apr. 30, 2009