My 1 year old wont give up the bottle.

My son just turned 1 on April 21. I'm trying to wean him from his bottle but he is so addicted to bottles! He starts smiling and laughing everytime he sees one. He will hit a sippy cup away if I try to give it to him! Any ideas?

MandyAshley

Asked by MandyAshley at 1:24 PM on Apr. 30, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• i threw away all of my sons bottles but one. i left a sippy cup on the coffee table all day so he could see it. and when he started screaming for a bottle i would not say anything and hand him his sippy cup. it takes a while but you cannot give in. if you give in he will know you will do it everytime. the quicker you get him off the bottle the better and easier it will be. i also told my son that the dog ate his bottle. but my dog a lot of stuff and it wasn't a lie. he did get the last bottle i had so i had to deal with a lot of fussing. but i got through it. hold your ground.
    2wndrfl_btrflys

Answer by 2wndrfl_btrflys at 1:27 PM on Apr. 30, 2009

• Then leave him alone and let him have it. Hes only 1.....hes a baby. I guess because Ive had 4 kids and I know Im done having kids, Ive let my youngest grow and develop at his own pace. Before you BLINK, its gone, its over and they are adults. So don't wish it away. I know this is not the advice you wanted, but I feel so strongly about letting my kids be kids. He won't go to kindergarten sucking a bottle. I PROMISE. Just relax and give him more time.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 1:28 PM on Apr. 30, 2009

• our son's are close in age! my son turned one on the 19th! no need to rush towards sippy cups, but what I did was offer a bottle in the mornings and after naps, since it was still a matter of security (the nipple), and offered sippys during meals with juice or water. then I offered sippys after naps filled with formula (I nursed him only from the tap). then eventually it was all sippys!
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 1:29 PM on Apr. 30, 2009

• The longer you wait, the harder it ill be on both of you. A 1 yr old is more than capable of using a sippy cup and really has no need for a bottle anymore. The worse thing you can do is let it become a security item for him. Trust me, get rid of the bottles so you won't be tempted to give in and make the sippy cup available to him. You'll be surprised how quickly he'll go for it and you won't have to go through security withdrawl later. I think it's selfish to let a baby become attached to a bottle just because mom wants to keep them a baby longer. It is so much more traumatizing once they have switched the need for a bottle from feeding to security and it gets taken away than to take it before it gets to that point. Why put your baby through that... really... do it now. You'll be glad you did.

BlessedMommy64

Answer by BlessedMommy64 at 2:29 PM on Apr. 30, 2009

• You don't have to take them all away at once. I started with one at a time. My son has a bottle in the afternoon so I gave him a choice I filled the bottle with just water and the sippy cup with juice or milk. He got used to the sippy cup in the afternoons next week is morning and then night. He is a quick little guy. Just be patience and good luck.

momavanessa

Answer by momavanessa at 3:27 PM on Apr. 30, 2009

• What i did with my one year old with the bottle problem is, I bought a sippie cup with the nipple. I would give it to him only at bed time. He finally stopped taking it after i would give him the sippi cup during the day. Thats how i broke my 1 year old.
    masonsmom2389

Answer by masonsmom2389 at 4:14 PM on Apr. 30, 2009