Would you leave your child unattended?

We went to Panera for lunch today. There was a lady with a little girl (maybe 3 years old) sitting at the table next to us, right next to the exit. When her order was ready, she left the little girl at the table to pick it up- not at all in view of the table. Then she got up and went again to get drinks, again on the other side of the restaurant. She got up a third and a fourth time, I think once maybe to go to the bathroom, she was gone so long, each time leaving the little girl alone. I was appalled- the little girl was parked right next to the exit, with two major highways intersecting the moment you walk out the door! Plus she was eating, so she could have choked.

Would you do this?

lovinangels

Asked by lovinangels at 1:33 PM on Apr. 30, 2009 in Just for Fun

• No that is just wrong. I've seen parents (usually dads) do that to 3-4y/o kids at food courts and it bugs the crap out of me. Maybe they think they're invincible, that they'll be able to outrun and tackle anyone who goes near their kid. Or more likely, they think it's the kind of bad thing that happens to "other people."

I know at Panera you have to get your food from the counter, but if it's not busy and you asked nicely they might bring it to your table. I've put my tray on my stroller's cupholder tray or even the basket underneath in a pinch. If there's no way else to get your food and supervise your kid properly, and you don't have another adult with you, GO SOMEWHERE ELSE TO EAT!!!!! There are plenty of good places with drive-thru, takeout or curbside-to-go service. This is such a selfish and stupid thing that parents do. You can't treat your 3y/o like a self-sufficient teenager!!!
    zorrokat

Answer by zorrokat at 4:06 PM on Apr. 30, 2009

• HELL NO!

timelessglass

Answer by timelessglass at 1:34 PM on Apr. 30, 2009

• No.
    Anonymous

• Never, Never, Never. These are the people that wonder "how did my child get kidnapped?" Ugh, drives me nuts!
    mamaada

Answer by mamaada at 1:36 PM on Apr. 30, 2009

• yikes major NO NO! maybe she felt confident leaving her baby behind, thinking the people nearby would automatically watch her. just stupid imo. i've gotten up from the table to grab some napkins, but we were at the table right next to the condiment booth. but I would never leave the child like that, especially going to the bathroom!
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 1:37 PM on Apr. 30, 2009

• I will not do that at all!!!
    Anonymous

• I would have as opposed to dragging the kid each time. How do you know she couldn't see her?
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 1:41 PM on Apr. 30, 2009

• ooopppsss...i didn't read the bathroom part. I wouldn't have done that.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 1:42 PM on Apr. 30, 2009

• Nope! I have left my son strapped in to the highchair to grab my food, but I try to always choose a table that is near the counter or condiments or whatever I would need to leave the table to get. My daughter would more than likely get up and follow me if I tried to leave her sitting there.
    CariadSpawn

Answer by CariadSpawn at 1:44 PM on Apr. 30, 2009

• No!
    IMAMOM2-2KIDS

Answer by IMAMOM2-2KIDS at 1:46 PM on Apr. 30, 2009