At what age should you start to encourage your child to write?

At what age should you start to encourage your child to learn how to do more than scribbles on a page? Draw a straight line, a zig-zag, or write letters?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:37 PM on Apr. 30, 2009 in General Parenting

• By about 22 months, most kids can draw a fairly straight line - usually from side to side.
    By 28 months, most can draw a fairly straight vertical line.
    By 30 months, most can draw some sort of circle - this is just a roughly round shape. The ends may not meet up and it may be very squashed and lumpy but they used a round motion to draw it.
    By 34 months, most can draw a cross or X - one line crossed with another line.
    By 36 months, most can draw a stick figure.

Of course, a child who is not given crayons and time to draw won't simply because he hasn't had the chance. And all kids develop differently. Some just don't care about drawing, they want to run and jump instead.

http://www.babycenter.com/0_milestone-chart-25-to-30-months_1496593.bc
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 2:49 PM on Apr. 30, 2009

• they start at the preschool here in the 2 year old class and really get into it in the 3 year old class. i started mine when he was 21/2
    2wndrfl_btrflys

Answer by 2wndrfl_btrflys at 1:40 PM on Apr. 30, 2009

• Mostly whne they are interested since you can not force them. But my DD can draw lines, circles, faces flowers and she is 2 1/2. She has been able to do the lines and circle since she was 12 months and was holding a pencil since she was 10 months. She has always liked to scribble and stuff(Ihave a 5 year old so that helps)
    I think you can encourage it at any age though.
    IMAMOM2-2KIDS

Answer by IMAMOM2-2KIDS at 1:41 PM on Apr. 30, 2009

• I am encouraging my son to write and he just turned 2 on the 18th of April...I don't think he is too young.
    CarieP

Answer by CarieP at 1:49 PM on Apr. 30, 2009

• **I am teaching him shapes as well. He recognizes almost every single shape, and is practicing drawing them.
    CarieP

Answer by CarieP at 1:50 PM on Apr. 30, 2009

• I started at about 2. I could write my whole name (which is very long) & write a few sentences perfect by 3. I loved stickers when I was younger so that was my reward. I plan on working with my daughter by that age and do the whole reward system too. All you can do is encourage them my siblings started later than me. You can also start with their favorite thing to color with like crayons or markers etc. make it fun. Tracing things first also helps a lot.
    kristajoy

Answer by kristajoy at 1:55 PM on Apr. 30, 2009

• Kids do things in their own time. There comes apoint where a child will be able to copy. Thats when you can introduce shapes and lines n such. They can practice copying it onto paper. This is usually part of a K3 cirriculum. My son is 3 and can barely scribble....LOL..hes the youngest of 4 and quite immature.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 2:14 PM on Apr. 30, 2009

• Between 2 and 2 1/2 years old. I know kids that can write their names by the time they are 3. It isn't always perfect but the get the idea.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 2:14 PM on Apr. 30, 2009

• id say around 2-2.5..
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 2:49 PM on Apr. 30, 2009

• I would just keep crayons, washable markers available and in time you will know when your LO is ready.. No need to rush anything. I have worked with my boys and by kindergarten they all knew how to write, names, numbers, shapes, letters, and it wasn't because I made them learn, we had fun with it...
    Maybe check out your local PAT (parents as teachers) program through your school district. They can offer you a lot of tips on how to have fun with learning with your kids.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 3:41 PM on Apr. 30, 2009