Funny Smell.

( This is a little bit sick )

My dog has a very unusual odor coming from her rear end. (No i didnt stick my face back there, its pretty obvious) And I think It might be her Anal Glands. Im not sure what to do about it, I dont have the money to bring her to the Vet. But She can smell up the living room in a few seconds. Its insane! I keep her outside now. But, thats not going to fix the problem if shes sick.
Any suggestions?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:47 PM on Apr. 30, 2009 in Pets

• Take her to a groomer that does glands.
    timelessglass

Answer by timelessglass at 1:50 PM on Apr. 30, 2009

• Yes, groomer will do it relatively cheap. Also, though I have never done it, I bet you could google it and find out how to do it yourself. They say it's not difficult.
    Anonymous

• she might be in heat
    Anonymous

• I agree with the above answers. Does she drag her butt? That's also a sign of anal glands needing to be cleaned. I would call the vet and see what they think, if they agree then ask how much it would cost or I would call a groomer and price check what they would charge for cleaning of the anal glands.
    Ambie0526

Answer by Ambie0526 at 10:39 PM on Apr. 30, 2009

• It's probably the anal glands and they just need to be expressed. I used to be bather at pet store and it was my least favorite part of the job. Thankfully my dog hasn't needed it done but I have had to do to some kittens we were fostering. I definately would do it outside. You can google how to do it, just look under "Expressing anal glands". Hope that helps.
    sadira29

Answer by sadira29 at 8:27 PM on May. 2, 2009