How often do your kids need something?

I have a 5 year old and 9 year old. We put them to their room at 8:00 pm and they are allowed to play quietly or watch Tv for an hour. At 9:00, it's lights out. Last night, my husband and I were laughing (and annoyed) becasue every 10 minutes one of them was downstairs needing something! Like more water, another hug and kiss, I got to poop, read me this, can I have a chip? etc. etc.
It's really like this all day though, every 10 minutes they need something! Are your kids this needy?

mamaada

Asked by mamaada at 1:51 PM on Apr. 30, 2009 in General Parenting

• Mine is, but he's 4. At least I figure that's why he ALWAYS needs something. It is constant. And I totally hear you about bed time. It's always "i forgot to kiss you" "i need to be covered up" (which if he'd stay in bed, he wouldn't need to be) "i didn't get a hug" or his famous "i forgot, i have to tell you something" (which he NEVER remembers) LOL
    TheDiva320

Answer by TheDiva320 at 1:52 PM on Apr. 30, 2009

• mine just wait until i go to sit down lol that is when they want something i can be cleaning for an hour nothing, but the minute i sit down is when they want something
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 1:53 PM on Apr. 30, 2009

• my 4 year old does that same thing THEDIVA320 she will tell me she has to tell me something or she forgot to tell me something and she to forgets or she needs something down stairs that she forgets it isn't even 2 minutes after coming down stiars for bed.
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 1:55 PM on Apr. 30, 2009

• yep mine are.
    Rachel24517

Answer by Rachel24517 at 1:55 PM on Apr. 30, 2009

• My 2 yr old twins need something or want something everytime I turn around and my 8 yr old, and 5 yr old always come up with something to get out of whatever they're supposed to do! Its a kid thing and just have to keep our temper in check; laugh it off like you did!!!
    ladyd6280

Answer by ladyd6280 at 1:57 PM on Apr. 30, 2009

• Try knocking off a dime from their allowance when they come out more than twice after lights out. They will think twice.
    timelessglass

Answer by timelessglass at 1:57 PM on Apr. 30, 2009

• My daughter tries that sometimes lol she's almost 5 It gets old fast I agree I let her take her water to her room and if she needs to potty she can do that and go back to bed If I'm in a good mood I find myself giving in without knowing then it won't stop for the rest of the night. During the day I try to keep meals and snacks at a regular time she will eat when she's bored and I hate to see her waste food it's a serious peeve of mine.
    mizsaxton

Answer by mizsaxton at 1:57 PM on Apr. 30, 2009

• He always needs something!!! Especially when I am on the phone, in the shower, going to the bathroom, whatever and he is 13 so he should be able to do most things for himself.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 2:16 PM on Apr. 30, 2009

• When I'm doing nothing they need nothing but as soon as I go to the bathroom, get on the phone, start cooking supper, etc, they desperately need things and they make it obvious that if they do not get it immediately, I am an unfit mother who should be reported to CPS, and I must be ignoring them just to torture them! LOL, maybe not that bad but from the way they start to whine you would think so!
    Anonymous

• my kids are over all that. We mean business about bedtime...but they are not babies either.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 2:36 PM on Apr. 30, 2009