plane and flu

my 3 month old daughter and i are taking a plane from philly to tampa...im scared that shell catch this swine flu. is there anything i can do to protect her from it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:57 PM on Apr. 30, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Don't go unless it's absolutely necessary.

Airplanes recirculate air. There is a special light that hospitals use in their air system that kills things. I think airplanes should be required to install them.

timelessglass

Answer by timelessglass at 1:59 PM on Apr. 30, 2009

• I wouldn't worry about it any more than any other illness. The media has just gone crazy with this! It's influenza... just like we have type A and B every year... which one is just another kind. No one was freaking out about the 26000 people that had influenza this year already! Just keep your hands clean, bring some sanitizer and don't let anyone touch her.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 2:01 PM on Apr. 30, 2009

• The only thing you can do is avoid large crouds, wash your hands and rist as much as possible, sneeze into your shirt sleeve (fabric traps and locks it in) avoid people who sneeze and cough, if possible wash your hands and face after someone sneezes or coughs around you. The best thing to do is really stay at home and away from large crouds. My husband had a sore throat yesturday so he was freaking out, so we read on how you get swine flu and how to avoid it and this is all the info it gave us. I would really keep away from people!
    Anonymous

• *sigh* This flu is not like the regular influenza. Is the media hype rediculous? Yes. But that is no reason to write this strain of flu off. This Swine Flu contains forms of the human, swine and avian flus. We do not have antibodies established against it as we do with the various strains of "regular" flu that are floating around. The "regular" flu is mainly a concern for infants and the elderly and those who die from it die from secondary causes (pneumonia for instance). The reason why this current Swine flu is such a big deal is because it is killing HEALTHY ADULTS as the PRIMARY cause of death. It is nothing like the flu we are accustomed to.

You couldn't pay me to get on an airplane right now. Especially with an infant at 3 months of age. Hand washing and staying at least 6 feet away from other people (which is impossible on an airplane) as flu is spread by droplet transmission will help.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 2:09 PM on Apr. 30, 2009

• It's not just for the safety/health sake that I would stay off of airplanes but for my sanity too. They've already had several planes be quarantined, holding up passengers for who knows how long, when people displayed signs of being ill or thought they were sick. Even if no one on your plan is sick, you're bound to have some yahoo aboard your flight that is going to swear they have it. There's a hypochondriac wherever I go I swear.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 2:12 PM on Apr. 30, 2009

• honestly i dont think that we should allow the flu to stop us from living our lives.
    there are alot of other dangers out there in the world- but we dont let them keep us locked up inside the house...
    Just keep your hands clean, keep her clean, keep her toys and bottles and such as sanitized as possible... dont let her put foreign objects in her mouth... just pay attention to whats goin on around you.
    if you dont mind a religious perspective- Put it in Gods hands...
    Things will be okay... there are ways to get around stuff like that...
    there are other areas of the airport- you can avoid HUGE crowds...You and the Baby will be able to board the plane first-so you dont have to worry about lines.Bring Hand sanitizer.Just be the regular cautious mommy that you would be even IF there was no flu going around.
    trystons_mommy

Answer by trystons_mommy at 2:17 PM on Apr. 30, 2009

• I'm down with trystons mommy and all the others that have said the same thing. I think the media (whores!) are really blowing this out of proportion. Causing a panic at this point is really silly! Admittedly there was a pandemic of swine flu but that was in 1918. Medical care has come a long way since then. Use common sense! Keep yourselves and kids clean and don't hang around sick people. What else can you do? As for avoiding large crowds... are you going to stay in your homes indefinately?
    HaydensMommy708

Answer by HaydensMommy708 at 3:07 PM on Apr. 30, 2009