am i being paranoid about the swine flu and upcoming travel plans we have?

We will b flying to iowa in 15 days, with our daughter who will b 11.5months old by then, were going to see family, anyways, we bought these tickets back in october, so its a big choice to decide to not go to iowa,for sister inlaw's high school graduation, and they havnt seen there grandaughter since she was 2 weeks, and i havnt meet his whole family yet either! so my question is, should i b caling the airline to see if i can move my ticket around and miss her graduation and seeing his family? or should i just stop being paranoid.

kyliebugs_mommy

Asked by kyliebugs_mommy at 2:15 PM on Apr. 30, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Some people are saying it's not that big of a deal because it's just a flu but an infant that just came back from mexico died from it, he was 22 months. I would hate for my child to get infected and just think it's a silly flu then something serious happens. http://www.cdc.gov/swineflu/ go here and read all about it. It says that even with medicine the reason people die is because your immune system cannot handle it and it goes into shut down mode which causes people to die from it. I would rather be scared than not and get it and something really bad happens. Remember how many people who died from the bird flu and people were saying it's just a flu, well same with this! Take precautions, if you go it might sound dumb but put a mask on your daughter for the plain ride. Then once you get there avoid large crouds!!
    Anonymous

• Well it is a tough decision but I would call the airline and see if a refund is possible and if it is and when is the last date yo ucan get a refund, alot of stuff can happen in fifteen days, but discuss it and weigh all your options and if you decide to go get masks and lots of hand sanitizer and just take lots of precaustions. If you choose not to go I am sure your family will be alright with it. We live in Fort Worth Texas and we have school closers in our area but not my sons, but I kept him home today and maybe tomorrow, so no i don't think you are paranoid by anymeans Good Luck Mom!!
    Korysmom96

Answer by Korysmom96 at 2:22 PM on Apr. 30, 2009

• I live in Iowa. And there has only been two cases of which they were testing people for the swine which I have not heard that it was positive yet. I think you should not be paranoid. But I know its hard not to. Because I ask myself as a pregnant gal what would happen if I were to get it cause I cant take anything. But the two who had whatever it was are recovering fine. With no sign of death at all.
    Nikky0803PAG

Answer by Nikky0803PAG at 2:30 PM on Apr. 30, 2009

• I think you should wait a couple days. Within a short time we will either start seeing more cases or it will peter out.
    Anonymous

• wait for a few more days and see if it gets worse or if cases start to go down. Theres no harm in being cautious with such a young baby. I would rather deal with my family being upset than have my child sick with the swine flu.
    Anonymous

• Well, the VP said HE wasn't getting on a plane anytime soon, so if you are he is! But I don't think I would want to risk it. You know, and this will sound a little crazy, but couldn't you buy 2 web-cams (cheaper than a flight!) send one to them and visit that way for now maybe?

Anonymous

• yes, you're being paranoid.
    Anonymous