What do doctors usually do for babies that constantly spit up formula?

My son is 5 months old and is a formula only baby. He spits up (5 to 6 times) lots of his formulas after almost every feeding. He takes in about 4 to 5 oz. and even when I reduce his bottle to 2 oz. the formula still comes up. I tried adding a little cereal to his bottle to help hold it down but that failed. Then a nurse at my job said to use the AR formula from Enfamil. She said they use that at many hospitals for premature babies. He has been on AR for a month and it does not seem to stay down. The doctor canceled his appointment due to all the new appointments she is getting about Swine Flu. Her nurse said she was going to check him for reflux. What is usually done for a baby with reflux?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:45 PM on Apr. 30, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Have you tried using a lactose free formula? he might have an allergy. You can also do enfamil enfacare for babies with bad stomachs. They have medicine they will give you for the vomiting if its bad enough. If he is gaining weight then they will probably switch you to another formula or tell you to leave him in an upright position for 30 to 45 minutes after his feedings. Slow him down and burp him every ounce. Stop when he is half done with his bottle and wait about 5 minutes then give him the rest. But they do have an oral medicine you give him before he eats to help control it if he is not gaining weight.
    brailynsmama08

Answer by brailynsmama08 at 2:51 PM on Apr. 30, 2009

• when my baby was spitting up the regular formula...the doc switched him to soy formula which is specifically made for fussiness, gas, and SPIT-UP. he never threw up his formula again. he is lactose and tolerant. who knew? lol
    bisbeesmiley

Answer by bisbeesmiley at 8:51 PM on May. 2, 2009

• I would try a hypoallergenic formula and if that doesn't work them maybe a soy.
    And then make sure you burp VERY often, keep him upright for 30 mins after eating, have him sleep at an incline.
    If you are trying rice, make sure you are adding enough... I would start with a teaspoon per oz
    They also have medications for reflux that your doctor can give you.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 4:13 PM on Apr. 30, 2009

• soy formula or cereal
    Lacrisha

Answer by Lacrisha at 3:37 PM on Apr. 30, 2009

• If he's gaining weight and otherwise happy, then it's really just a laundry issue and theres nothing you really need to do. Formula can just be hard for little tummies to digest.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 3:11 PM on Apr. 30, 2009

• They will try and find a formula he can keep down you may have to try quite a few we did , and there is medication that they can give for reflux, we went throug this with our son and it was not fun he was two month one week premature. Add me as a friend and I will go into more detail with you on what they do and the tests that we had. Good luck hun hope to talk to you soon. Malia
    Korysmom96

Answer by Korysmom96 at 2:50 PM on Apr. 30, 2009

• Well typically they offer ceral or a differnt kind of formual.Also with reflux there are a few medicines they might try.If the dr cancelled your apt Id try a soy based formula to see if it helps.
    Chrystal_A

Answer by Chrystal_A at 2:49 PM on Apr. 30, 2009