How do you help your child to learn to feed him/herself??

My child is 17 months old and cannot feed herself, I need suggestions on how to help her learn how to feed herself.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:48 PM on Apr. 30, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Always offer child sized fork and spoon and chop the food so its not a choking hazord.This is something they usually learn on thier own,just keep giving them a fork and dicing the food,if you give the food too big then it can discourage.
    Chrystal_A

Answer by Chrystal_A at 2:52 PM on Apr. 30, 2009

• Our daughter is 7 months and we put cheerio's and crackers on her try and she will feed herself. As for doing it with a spoon you give her a spoon to practice the hand eye coordination with and then go from there. Give her a spoon while you feed her and help her do it. Does she feed herself finger foods? You can put the spoon in her hand and hold it and help her get it in her mouth until she gets the hang of it or let her use an empty spoon until she gets the hang of it. I let our daughter play with spoons and she is getting better at feeding herself but still doesn't hit her mouth all the time.
    brailynsmama08

Answer by brailynsmama08 at 2:53 PM on Apr. 30, 2009

• My daughter is a year and I either give her finger foods or sit with her, my hand over hers with the spoon in her hand, and do the entire meal like that. You could try that but at seventeen months she has the ability to feed herself with a spoon and it might be a lot of unnecessary work to do the whole hand-over-hand deal. Give her a spoon or fork and her food in a bowl and let her go to town. It will be a huge mess at first but she'll eventually get the hang of it.
    kate_jocelyn

Answer by kate_jocelyn at 2:54 PM on Apr. 30, 2009

• Chrystal gave a wonderful and true answer, I'll only add to introduce some color for her. Reds and greens, orange and yellows too. Try peaches for example, a small portion and lay the spoon beside them. She will catch on.
    Also try ice cream, most tots don't like the cold feel to the fingers but love the taste so they will reach for the spoon. Good luck.
    Ladycwells

Answer by Ladycwells at 2:55 PM on Apr. 30, 2009

• Yep, just keep trying. As she gets close to 30 months, start insisting that she use her spoon and fork. As she passes 30 months and starts to head for 36 months, start ending the meal if she won't use her spoon and fork.

But remember that everything should be cut up to non-chokeable sizes until she is over 4. This includes grapes and strawberries. Raisines should be handed out 2 or 3 at a time - a handful is a choking hazard.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 3:06 PM on Apr. 30, 2009

• I didn't. I would give her finger foods and a fork or spoon and let her play. She's almost two and does great with both. Still messy though and mor eoften than not likes her fingers.

Most often your child will want to mimic you, so be sure to use your silverware at each meal so your child can watch you. Offer bits of your food off your fork, too.
    Anonymous

• Give them a plate full of food & a toddler spoon or fork & stand back!
    Let them watch you eat.
    Take their hand & stab the macaroni with the fork
    take their hand and scoop the cereal with a spoon
    Be ready for a mess!
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 3:56 PM on Apr. 30, 2009