What will your teens do this summer?

My son is 15 and is looking for work with no luck . School is almost out here due to modified schedule they started at the beginning of August. The kids these days just want to lay around and play on the computer. I am not sure what to do with him. We are on a tight budget so I am asking for ideas. Tks

dillonsma

Asked by dillonsma at 2:56 PM on Apr. 30, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• Grocery stores .... landscaping companies .... car wash places ....
    ap9902

Answer by ap9902 at 5:12 PM on Apr. 30, 2009

• He has looked no one will hire a 15 yr old when adults seem to want the jobs. He is doing some odd jobs for neighbors. But what else r these teens going to do?
    dillonsma

Answer by dillonsma at 5:26 PM on Apr. 30, 2009

• My 14 year old will be mowin lawns this summer....he mows in the summer and shovels in the winter....for extra money and to give him the idea that money does not grow on trees.......good luck with finding him something...
    HarleyGirl740

Answer by HarleyGirl740 at 6:23 PM on Apr. 30, 2009

• Have your son call the Red Cross and find out where he can take the RC certified babysitter class. My daughter is 13 and RC certified. She babysits every Saturday night, sometimes on Friday nights and, this weekend, Sunday afternoon. Depending on the number of children, she charges (and is paid) $5-7 an hour. When she has a day off of school, she will usually babysit then ,too. She has to save half of her money, and the rest is hers to spend on items her mean parents won't buy for her (you know, like the $50 pair of Juicy shorts at Loehmann's).
    She will be at camp for 4 weeks this summer, volunteering at a daycamp in our neighborhood, and babysitting.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:53 PM on Apr. 30, 2009

• Beg me for Money; Expect me to drive her where ever she wants on her schedule; and drive me crazy. She just turned 16 in Feb and hopefully she can find a part time job because she really needs to learn the value of a dollar. At the same time, she has changed from the little girl who use to jump in my bed with me so we could read a book, tell each other stories, or [lucky me] watch Barney or her favorite, Sharon, Lois, & Bram together....to a young adult who argues with me if she doesn't get her way; oversteps her boundaries; calls me names; and needs boot camp or we both need to go on a retreat or something together so we can learn more about each other with other mother/daughters going through the same thing.
    Susanilow

Answer by Susanilow at 5:36 AM on May. 1, 2009

• Hi Susanilow, does your daughter have a bicycle and helmet? Do you live somewhere with public transit? She sounds pretty normal to me...

Answer by rkoloms at 8:12 AM on May. 1, 2009

• sleep till noon everyday, play on the computer, have friends over, complain when she has to babysit for me, be reluctant to go anywhere with me, spend a few days with my mom, her cousin.....basically? NOTHING. Shes only 14 so shes not old enough to officially work, but my dad did say that he would let her help him at his shop. He owns a chemical company.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 10:21 AM on May. 1, 2009

• NOTHING. He will be 13 in July and he doesn't need to do anything, he is a kid. He has baseball and he will cut our grass and that is about it.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:30 AM on May. 1, 2009

• My kids will do what they do every year. What ever they want. The summer is their time. No respoinibilities. I don't even make them keep their rooms clean. Plus we live a block from the beach. And the boardwalks are only a few minutes drive. So they'll have pleanty to do. If they want to get a job I won't stop them. But it will be 100% their choice.
    Chrissy629

Answer by Chrissy629 at 12:06 PM on May. 1, 2009

• I am sure there are lots of places where your child can volunteer. Looks good on a resume, and boosts their awareness of others around them.
    texassahm

Answer by texassahm at 6:28 PM on May. 2, 2009