About vaccinations! Please no arguments, this is an honest question

Again, I'm not asking this to stir controversy and for all those who answer I would like to know where you information comes from and where I could read more on it. I'm also not going to state whether or not I vaccinate, as I am not here to invoke a debate. I can tell you that I have nothing against either side, as I think they both make valid arguments. Here's the question: I read somewhere that if your child is not vaccinated and then goes to school/preschool/daycare around kids who recently (or not?) have been, that they would catch an illness that otherwise would not be a big threat. For instance polio. A kid probably wouldn't get polio just randomly, but can they catch it by being around a child who has had the vaccine.

Again, please no anti/pro vaccine debates. I want only answers that can be backed up by a reliable source! It's mainly for curiosity's sake.

ErinHill226

Asked by ErinHill226 at 3:17 PM on Apr. 30, 2009 in General Parenting

• There are two main types of vaccines: the live vaccine and the inactivated vaccine. Live vaccines are actual viruses that are too weak to cause disease in people with normal immune systems. When a person is vaccinated with the live virus, it causes an actual infection; however, the virus isn’t strong enough to make the person feel sick.

The oral polio vaccine is "live." It can be shed in the stool for two weeks or longer and the vaccine virus can be passed to others through contact with the stool. This usually doesn’t pose a threat to anyone, but a transplant patient (or someone with a bad immune system) might get sick from the oral polio virus if they come into contact with it via a dirty diaper, etc.
    from http://www.classkids.org/library/immunizations.htm

so it shouldn't pose a problem for a healthy preschooler to be around someone who has recently had a polio vaccination.
    asyoulikeit

Answer by asyoulikeit at 4:18 PM on Apr. 30, 2009

• Most vaccines do not contain enough of the disease to cause it to happen, it has just enough along with medicines to kill it to make you more immune to it. I don't know of any good sites and if I did I would tell you but I know that most viruses are inactive or a medically formated form of the virus or disease to help build immunity.
    Anonymous

• http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/
    Here this might shed a little light on the subject.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 3:27 PM on Apr. 30, 2009

• It depends on the vaccine. If it is a "live virus" vaccine, then yes. A recently vaccinated child can spread it to a non-vaccinated child. This is simple biology - the child has actually been infected with a weakened version of the virus, one her immune system will easily overcome, but she has still been infected. And now that she is infected, she could pass it on for a short period of time, how long depends on the virus.

The main "live virus" vaccines are MMR, oral Polio, and Chickenpox.

http://www.drspock.com/article/0,1510,4866,00.html
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 4:27 PM on Apr. 30, 2009