Freebirthing?...

When I was dropping my kids off at school this morning, one of the mom had told me that she "freebirths". I have no clue what the is or what it means...can someone explain it to me?

mcdorman01

Asked by mcdorman01 at 3:31 PM on Apr. 30, 2009 in Pregnancy

• isnt that like doing home births or water births. its really cool. i have never done one but i would love to try it.
    SThompson21

Answer by SThompson21 at 3:32 PM on Apr. 30, 2009

• It means you get no medical care before, during or after your pregnancy. You do everything at home with a partner there to deliver your baby. You don't believe in medical intervention. You only use a midwife or have an on call person for emergencies and other than that its you and your SO .
    brailynsmama08

Answer by brailynsmama08 at 3:32 PM on Apr. 30, 2009

• She does Unassisted (or "God Assisted") Childbirthing without the help of any medical professionals.
    littlemrsmarcel

Answer by littlemrsmarcel at 3:33 PM on Apr. 30, 2009

• yeah thats not what i thought....lol. i think water birthing is cool. but i want medical care while im pregnant.
    SThompson21

Answer by SThompson21 at 3:33 PM on Apr. 30, 2009

• They actually have a show on the discovery health channel called free birthing and its getting a ton of slack as it can be considered child endangerment and neglect as your refusing care for you and you child. I know some woman in Germany or something was facing prison time for it.
    brailynsmama08

Answer by brailynsmama08 at 3:34 PM on Apr. 30, 2009

• http://birthing-options.suite101.com/article.cfm/what_is_freebirthing

this article sums it up. I'm considering it an option.

Anonymous

• littlemrsmarcel

Answer by littlemrsmarcel at 3:35 PM on Apr. 30, 2009

• Freebirthing is illegal in some other countries. In the United States, however, it is not. Parents do not face any charges of child endangerment or neglect as long as they follow "the rules" of each state. Most states require that the baby be seen by a medical professional within the week after birth. Child Services may or may not be called.
    littlemrsmarcel

Answer by littlemrsmarcel at 3:37 PM on Apr. 30, 2009