Have you ever heard of an allergic reaction to elastic?

Well lets start at the begining when my 3 yr old was a baby he would get horrible lines on his legs from the sock elastic,he still has a scar today.Sooo I ditched socks.When he started walking I bought toddler socks with little elastic...and its never left a mark.Now I have a 2nd son and he too can not wear socks with out getting a horrible line..both kids had fat ankles.Now here recently hes getting scratches at his underware line and im just curious if it could be related,its been nearly 3 yrs since hes had marks from his socks.His underware fit right...they might even be too big but thomas is cool lol...whats the deal??

Chrystal_A

Asked by Chrystal_A at 3:43 PM on Apr. 30, 2009 in Kids' Health

• Are you sure it isn't a rubber allergy? That is actually common. I am allergic to rubber. I have to make sure it doesn't touch my skin.
    Anonymous

• While thats a good question he plays with his rubber truck tires no problem.And when he was a baby and in the hospital sick they were able to touch him with laytex gloves-I know that can be something different but I know its not laytex either.
    Chrystal_A

Answer by Chrystal_A at 4:19 PM on Apr. 30, 2009

• Children can develop allergies as they age or existing mild allergies can get worse. Your best bet is to take him to see his doctor or a pediatric dermatologist to try to determine what the scratches/marks really are and if they are an actual allergy, as they could be something entirely different. For example, the scratches at his waist could simply be him scratching himself as he pulls up his underwear or the waistband might be irritating or rubbing on him because his pants are too tight at the waist over the underwear, etc.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 11:07 PM on Apr. 30, 2009

• try getting the underware(I know hanes has them) with cotten material covering the band. I think that the differnce between the clothes and trucks is that the clothes are rubbing on the skin constanly and the trucks are not.
    IMAMOM2-2KIDS

Answer by IMAMOM2-2KIDS at 12:11 PM on May. 1, 2009

• Yes, my kids could never wear underwear with exposed elastic (no Thomas underpants for them!). Look for the 100% cotton ones that have the cotton wrap around the elastic. Hanes makes some.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 2:25 PM on May. 1, 2009

• Do they make them in size 3s?I know thats been the biggest problem because he potty trained earlier than most..
    Chrystal_A

Answer by Chrystal_A at 3:10 PM on May. 1, 2009