Does any one work fulltime while your husband stays home with your new born?

How does this work for you? Pros/ cons ? who do you handle breastfeeding and late night feedings then not be tired at work? Any suggestions, helpful hints would be very appreciated. Thanks ;O)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:48 PM on Apr. 30, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• We didn't do it full-time, but when I first started back to work when my twins were 10 weeks old my husband and I split the days - we both worked half-time and kept babies half-time. He'd cover the first night time feeding and I'd get the second one. I'd switched to bottles by then, so breastfeeding wasn't an issue for me, but if you are going to be nursing you will probably need to keep doing night time feedings to help your milk production (just pumping is very difficult). No matter what you do, you can still expect to be tired - I think that's just part of being a new mom. Also, if your hubby is keeping a baby all day long, he is going to need a break. Half a day was about all my husband could take, but he was also dealing with two babies.

Pros - caregiver you can trust and no getting baby ready for daycare
    Cons - it is very hard on Daddy and Mommy may feel guilty

Good luck!
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 4:02 PM on Apr. 30, 2009

• Kind of.... my husband works days and I work evenings... and I didn't return to work until my son was 3 months.... 9 months now.
    But it works out fine! And my son has a great bond with his daddy. (Pro)
    As far as late night feedings... we take turns. Since my son also takes bottles too... if I have already been up to breastfeed and he wakes again then DH will get up and give him a bottle. It has worked out well that way.
    My only con is a selfish one... I have a hard time getting my son to sleep when I am home! My husband does it so well my son doesn't like it when I try to get him to sleep... I just don't do it "right" LOL
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 4:07 PM on Apr. 30, 2009

• We started that at 8 months because my daycare was so expensive and threatened to give my son formula without my permission or knowledge.

Well I have always worked so I had to work around the nighttime feedings, mostly my son STTN BUT when he did wake up my hubby had to get up and bring him to me and put him back in bed...that was his job, if baby had ate and stayed awake he had to deal with him. He does all the clothes in the evenings and he cooks pretty much all the meals.

I NEVER gave a bottle when I was home, I couldn't afford to waste the milk when I was there to nurse...pumping sucks. Yeah waking up to nurse sucked but once he latched I was out again, it was my hubby that had to get up twice not me. When working supply can be a struggle so I recommend doing all the feedings yourself.
    tabi_cat1023

Answer by tabi_cat1023 at 4:26 PM on Apr. 30, 2009