Is there something magical that happens at 12 months that makes it okay to give a baby cow's milk?

or is it okay to give at 11 months when the child weans themselves from the breast and needs something to replace that (since the child isn't getting any breast milk and won't take formula).

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:17 PM on Apr. 30, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• you can try giving it to the child at 11 monthsd its just that at 12 months the kids system can digest it and it wont make them lactose in tolerant...
    Anonymous

• Around 12 months, the digestive tract is more developed, making it easier to digest cow's milk. We started mixing milk and formula about 2 weeks before her 1st birthday I want to say. I would definitely ease her into it, not just stop breastmilk and throw milk at her. I think with our son we started at about 11 months 1 week or so with cow's milk.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 4:20 PM on Apr. 30, 2009

• I would think it would be ok but you would have to check with your Dr. The formula and Breast milk have Proteins that they need to help keep them healthy. But I would think it would be ok if you are already giving the child regular food because it could help make up for the stuff they are missing
    Anonymous

• The general rule for most things is one year...bah.

What i did was at 11 months I started giving milk every 2-3 days, only like 1/2 cup, to help get her little body used to it. There was some messy poo's, and some gas, but I am glad I am doing it this way. She is liking it more already, and no longer has a reaction to it, so when she turns 1 on May 11th the bottles and formula will be gone and it will be all about the milk (oh yeah, I am also introducing her milk in a sippy cup, not a bottle, so I know she will continue to drink it after the bottles are gone)
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 4:20 PM on Apr. 30, 2009

• Well she's not taking breast milk or formula at all. It's my sister's child and I told her to just switch to cow's milk. She's a little nervous but I don't think 1 month is going to make that big of a difference. And when we tried cow's milk in a sippy she drank the whole thing. She hasn't had breast milk in 2 days.
    Anonymous

• No. No magic. Like so many other things, it's a guide. Babies under 12 months are more likely to have a hard time digesting it - not all will and some 14 months old still have probelms. It's just a guide.

Keep this in mind for other things too. When is the "best age" to do anything questions are pointless for babies and toddlers. There is no "best age". Not for potty training, not for moving to a bed, not for throwing out the bottles and binkies.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 4:43 PM on Apr. 30, 2009

• There is NOTHING magical. The only thing I would suggest is that if the baby (almost toddler!) isn't eating a variety of table foods for nutrition to try the formula or some other idea from your pediatrician.

Our boys were on all table foods by 9 months, and our pediatrician put them on 2% milk at 9 months because they didn't need the nutrition in formula any longer. They ate everything we ate, no food sensitivities at the time and no family history of allergies.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 4:44 PM on Apr. 30, 2009

• Children don't need milk. They are much better off with water and calcium rich foods.

Answer by rkoloms at 5:09 PM on Apr. 30, 2009

• Oh, so I can give my newborn water and calcium rich foods? great advice!!
    Anonymous

• Just FYI, it is very rare for a child this young to self wean. It's more likely a nursing strike, so she might want to keep offering the breast.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 6:17 PM on Apr. 30, 2009