What should my daughter wear for her birthday picture?

She's turning 9. Traditionally, my MIL buys her a birthday dress every year on Easter, then I take her to get her birthday picture taken in it. This year, my daughter is going horseback riding and she's wanting her birthday picture to be taken with her in her cowboy boots, hat and jeans/tshirt. She doesn't want to upset her grandma. I told her it's completely up to her and that she can wear her bday dress on her bday to school. But, I understand where she's coming from. My MIL is easily upset. I cannot afford to pay for more than the basic Walmart pack of pics, so I'll only get one pose. This happened once before when she was a baby. I had her pic taken in the outfit I picked, then MIL took her back in the dress she picked and paid to have another package. Ugh!

sparrowprincess

Asked by sparrowprincess at 5:10 PM on Apr. 30, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• well i would talk to MIL and see if she is willing to do that again. Tell her that your DD wants to take pics her way and MIL's way. Your daughter is old enough to know what she wants. Your MIL should accept that. She is growing up and she now wants to dress herself.
    2wndrfl_btrflys

Answer by 2wndrfl_btrflys at 5:13 PM on Apr. 30, 2009

• Explain to MIL that this is what SHE wants to do, and that you think (if this is what you think) that she is starting to get to an age where she should be able to express herself. This is an important time for her, and it will be captured on film as a time in her life, instead of similar pictures every year that have no story to tell.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 5:13 PM on Apr. 30, 2009

• Let your daughter decide, and explain to your MIL that this is what she wants,and if your MIL would like a formal picture done also, tell her that you can only afford to do one. Then if the MIL still wants it done, by all means..let her pay for it.
    Jill1121

Answer by Jill1121 at 5:16 PM on Apr. 30, 2009

• I had my kids pics done and they were able to do wardrobe changes! My oldest now 22, was in a suit then his football jersey then casual wear! See if this is an option, so grandma can have her lil girly and her lil cowgirl!
    chelley24

Answer by chelley24 at 6:07 PM on May. 1, 2009

• Let your daughter decide as long as you approve of the outfit she is wearing (you are paying for the pics). If your MIL wants her own outfit then she should pay for the addtional prints! I would just tell her that you can't afford both sets and if she'd like to come along or take her seperatly she may!
    Supermamato4

Answer by Supermamato4 at 8:45 AM on May. 2, 2009