Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Disability and Kids

My SO is applying for Disability. BM and my SO have joint custody, but she has physical custody per court documents. However, BM waived support over 2 years ago and he has had the kids between 9 and 8 days in a 2 week period - her only having them 5 to 6 days in 2 weeks. my SO has not taken her to court to get it put in official documentation nor has he gone to the courts to recieve child support. I think he should go for support but that is a whole other issue.

My question is, if he does get approved for Disability, where will the checks go for his SD and SS? Will they come to our house or will they go to BM's house? I know they will be in the kids names and all, but we would feel more comfortable if they came here so that we could make sure they were either placed in a savings account for them or used toward their specific expenses. (I know its sounds horrible, but I just don't trust her with anything)


Asked by aly38914290 at 5:15 PM on Apr. 30, 2009 in Money & Work

Level 8 (259 Credits)
This question is closed.
Answers (3)
  • The checks will go to wherever the KIDS are living. It doesnt matter what YOU want to happen to the checks. The states look at it like this: the money is to go to those KIDS, whether it be spent on rent payments, food to eat, gas to get them somewhere or what have ya. You have no control over that. You CAN, however, request that receipts be kept on where the money goes. I know someone that does this and YES they keep up with this as the mother must bring in receipts EVERY month showing where the money went! I hope this helps

    Answer by SweetKYmom at 7:51 AM on May. 1, 2009

  • To clarify since it was brought up SO is the disabled one, not the kids. According to Social Security the kids will get checks as well if he is approved for disability.

    Answer by aly38914290 at 5:46 PM on Apr. 30, 2009

  • will they base where they live off of the divorce decree? or will they go to the same place that his checks come? when we filed the application for SO it doesn't ever ask where the kids live or who has custody.

    Answer by aly38914290 at 10:51 AM on May. 1, 2009