If I'm renting a house and my yard has black widow spiders in it so much that my kids cant play outside, who has to spray?

Over the past few days we've seen SEVERAL black widow spiders on the property. Do we need to call someone to come out or is that our landlord's responsibility? Either way it needs to be taken care of IMMEDIATELY.

RyleeMendez

Asked by RyleeMendez at 5:28 PM on Apr. 30, 2009 in Home & Garden

• Landlord, and if they don't take care of it and you do, deduct it from your rent and keep the receipt.

Anonymous

• I agree with pp. It is your landlords responsibility to keep the house in a safe condition to live in. If they won't call a exterminator pay out of pocket and deduct from your rent.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 5:33 PM on Apr. 30, 2009

• We have had the same problem at our house and we rent as well. We called the exterminator and took care of it ourselves but call your landlord and just let him know the situation and ask him if he would have someone come out & spray. I'm not sure if you have a contract, but you might want to read it to see who's responsible for things like that (before you make the call). I would definitely get it done quickly though!!
    madsmom11597

Answer by madsmom11597 at 5:35 PM on Apr. 30, 2009

• Ugghh... I hate those things. They are so freakin' scary. I think the above poster is right about resposibility. Here is a website that might help http://www.hud.gov/offices/hsg/sfh/hcc/hcs.cfm you may have to call one their numbers though.
    Tawanda74

Answer by Tawanda74 at 5:35 PM on Apr. 30, 2009

• In what state do black widow spider reside? Lol silly question, but curious.
    Anonymous

• Your landlord is probably responsible for that charge, but you have to tell them and wait for them to do it...if it were me Id do it myself right away rather then risk the wait.
    MamaBuggy

Answer by MamaBuggy at 5:49 PM on Apr. 30, 2009

• You can call the landlord and ask or your local landlord/tenant office
    Anonymous

• I would catch one too and have it as proof, then if they don't believe you, you can tell them "hey I have one, and I can show you" . My sister did that and they exterminated the whole building she lives in.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 6:10 PM on Apr. 30, 2009

• We have them here in Mississipi. I don't know where else they like to live though..
    Tawanda74

Answer by Tawanda74 at 6:49 PM on Apr. 30, 2009

• I'm in Oklahoma.
    RyleeMendez

Answer by RyleeMendez at 7:09 PM on Apr. 30, 2009