I was wondering what can I do if my neighbor wants to remove her chainlink fence and use our wooden fence as hers?

We paid 1,500 dollars for each side of our wooden fence a total of 5,000 and I don't think its fair for her to use it as her fence, is there anyway we can call the city and they'll help in this to make her pay us atleast have of what we paid so she can then use it as her fence? because its not fair that we paid all that money and for her just to use it as her fence for free, what do you think? what would u do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:31 PM on Apr. 30, 2009 in Home & Garden

• What do you mean "use"? Yes you can call the city.
    Anonymous

• I'm not sure that there is anything you can do...basically she is choosing not to have a fence on her property, and there is no crime in that. You just so happen to have a fence that very convienetly boarders her property.

Generally, when a fence is built that is separating properties, the two land owners get together THEN and discuss splitting the cost and agreeing on a fence height, type, etc. that both parties will enjoy.

Think of it this way...if she moved tomorrow, and new neighbors moved in, would you make them pay for 1/2 of your fence because they are using it?
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 5:34 PM on Apr. 30, 2009

• If she is not using your fence for personal use then I don't think you can do anything about it. Unless there is a city ordinance you all have to follow regarding the fencing of your properties. I don't understand if she is removing her fence then she will still have open areas so its really not going to affect your fence at all. I just know if its a joint fence between properties then you usually agree on it as its on the property line. If she is taking her fence off her property then she must not want it.
    Anonymous

• shes just removing the fence on the side that divides us not the rest around her home. Since hers is a crappy really old chainlink she wants to use our wooden fence as hers. She only put a new chainlink on the other sides of her property.
    Anonymous

• I don't think its fair at all, because shes going to use our fence for free. so what if we remove it she'll be screwed with an open space not dividing us anymore, should I tell her that so she can freak out?
    Anonymous

• lol what's the point of having 2 fences up against each other?
    Anonymous

• I'm so glad I live in the country..
    Anonymous

• As long as she isnt damaging the fence in any way, including an animal there really isn't much you can do. In the last home we lived a new Lowes was being built in a lot across the street. Lowes agreed to build a 12 foot privacy and sound reduction wall. We pull out chain link out as soon as it was up. It was repeptive and useless and impossible to get to weeds or vines in the space between the fences. That 12 ft wall wasn't ours..but it was there.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 6:09 PM on Apr. 30, 2009

• what i think you should do... is its YOUR fense and if she odnt want to pay for half paint the OTHER side like puke green or porno images or something and she has to deal with it cuz its YOUR fence LOL
    kristalsfirst

Answer by kristalsfirst at 7:31 PM on Apr. 30, 2009

• Sorry. Not much you can do. If the two of you had agreed to spllit the cost before the fence was built, fine. But you didn't. You decided that the cost of the fence was worth it to you. You put up a fence. There is nothing to stop her from using the same fence that already divides her property from yours.

And yes, you could paint the side that faces her property - IF you can do it without standing on her property (tresspassing) and if you are willing to start a war over this. You can also remove it any time you want - but then YOU will be dealing with no division between the yards too.

Life's not fair. She gets the benefit of the fence for no cost. Oh well. Step back, take a deep breath, and enjoy your pretty new fence. Forget about your neighbor.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 7:46 PM on Apr. 30, 2009