How do you keep a kids pool from getting all green and slimy?

My kids are 3 and 11 months. I don't want to put chemicals in it. Is there any other way? The pool is about 5 ft x 3.5 ft and not quite a foot deep, but it's a HUGE pain to drain it and refill it every couple of days. That keeps the water from warming up to make it nice to swim in too. I've swam in a salt water pool that was in ground before and it was so nice! I just didn't know if that concept would work in this situation. Any ideas?

RyleeMendez

Asked by RyleeMendez at 5:31 PM on Apr. 30, 2009 in General Parenting

• I know it's a pain to drain and clean, but that is how I did it and it does work out best, I didn't and wouldn't put chemicals in their pool, especially if they're young. Another option is if you have something like a flat board, placing it over like a pool cover, or a tarp, and tucking the tarp under the pool, getting a pool net for leaves that fall in is another tool you can use.
    Knightquester

Answer by Knightquester at 5:35 PM on Apr. 30, 2009

• If you don't want chemicals then that would be the only way to go. You can put 3/4 cup of bleach in the water it wont do any harm or you can buy organic cleaning supplies for pools. Other than that you can try the salt. Why is it getting slimy so fast? Have you thought of covering it to avoid the bugs and things? I only know of putting either bleach or pool chemicals in or you can do the salt water if you want but that can hurt their eyes at that age if they splash.
    Anonymous