Ideally how much do you think a family should make to have baby #2?

Im curious. I know it would depend alot on spending habits, debt, where they live, and some other stuff. But if you *HAD* to put a number on it what do you think the minimum is that they should make to have baby #2?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:37 PM on Apr. 30, 2009 in Trying to Conceive

• Probably 70,000 a year or more.
    brailynsmama08

Answer by brailynsmama08 at 5:39 PM on Apr. 30, 2009

• Enough to pay the child's way through their life. I'd include health insurance in that calculation.

Children don't need a lot of the things American's think. So, as long as the current family income has some wiggle room, have the baby.
    timelessglass

Answer by timelessglass at 5:42 PM on Apr. 30, 2009

• yikes 70, 000 a year? Who ever makes that much here with 2 or more kids, especially in this economy is lucky!

I say above minimum wage. Everyone's living situation is different. Depends on where you live, cost of living..do you buy cookies, sodas and candies for groceries for your family, is your car paid off, things like that. It does not cost alot to raise children. If you are the type of parent that gets their kids whatever they want when they want it, then I believe it would be pretty expensive. You could spend $1,000 on a fairytale princess bed with a castle top if you want to. (was considering it lol)...but are those things necessary? Nah.
    babycakes254

Answer by babycakes254 at 5:44 PM on Apr. 30, 2009

• Wow, 70,000! We made 34,000 this past year and have baby #3 on the way and we are doing just fine, not lacking for anything and do not need any type of assistance. It all depends on what you think is a necessity. Our kids do not lack anything. Not only can we afford this baby but I am a stay at home mom as well.
    Anonymous

• yeah well i'm stay at home mom to and we only made 30,000 this year and all our bills are paid for so if you can afford it go for it shouldn't be that much to raise a child we have one and ttc again.
    Anonymous

• We made about $52,000 last year and have three kids and are doing just fine, we do live paycheck to paycheck with little extra, but my kids have ALL they need
    Anonymous

• We made 37,000 and we have 1 kid, 2 cars, and a few credit cards and money in the bank to have fun. They said what is a good number. My sister has 3 kids and they make about 75,000 a year, he works for the prison and has for 9 years and she is a personal accountant at a bank.
    Anonymous

• I wasn't comfortable getting pregnant with kid #1, and we make over $100K a year. We live in a very expensive part of the county, though.
    Anonymous

• Thanks everyone. We currently make $40,000. We are pretty careful with spending. We do have CC's I want paid off first. Maybe $3,000 total. Some past debts im paying back that I want paid off too. Our cars are used so we dont have car payments. We have good insurance too. We are not on any kind of assistance. Im just really worried about the financial aspect of baby #2. Theres maybe $300 left a month when we stick to our budget. I just dont think thats enough for #2. Once I pay the CC's and debts off that will free up another $220 or so a month though. Thats $520 left over. Is that enough??? Thoughts??
    Anonymous

• We make about $38,000 a year and have four kids. We are not on public assistance of any kind (not that I judge families who get that, this is just our current situation), our children have clean, nice clothing, medical and dental insurance, plenty of toys and art supplies, more books than they can read, lots of healthy, nourishing food, and they participate in fun and educational activities. I am really not sure what else they NEED in order to justify their existence on the planet? Sure, we do live a fairly frugal lifestyle ( I buy used whenever possible, for instance) and we have to budget and plan... but I don't consider that to be a bad thing, and certainly I don't think it's a bad thing for kids to learn to know the difference between wants and needs, prioritize, set goals, overcome barriers, and work to make things happen. :-)
    Collinsky

Answer by Collinsky at 7:05 PM on Apr. 30, 2009