Does anyone have a newborn/infant who waves his/her arms up and down?

My 2 month old daugther does this and I'm wondering if it's a sign of autism. My 21 month old son did this as an infant and he is now showing signs of autism.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:52 PM on Apr. 30, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Well, my son does that, my niece did that, and my nephew did that. So... I dont think its something to worry about. I thinks its normal at that age. Its when they are older and do things like that. But shes just figured out she could move her arms and finds it neat. My son used to open and close his fist over and over and just sit there and watch. It scared me. But the doc said he was just learning his reflexes. Does she make eye contact? Does she appear to be bright eyed and happy? I think the most noticeable sign of autism in infants is they just dont appear "there" or detached. no delight. no smiles. no eye contact.
    Auntiemom410

Answer by Auntiemom410 at 6:36 PM on Apr. 30, 2009

• could be,I wouldn't rule it out.
    TMJ121099

Answer by TMJ121099 at 5:55 PM on Apr. 30, 2009

• My son does the same thing. I did not know that was something to worry about.
    bluelady27

Answer by bluelady27 at 6:04 PM on Apr. 30, 2009

• I actually had the same worry when my oldest daughter was first born...she would do different repetitive movements. She is fine today...just entertaining themselves and figuring out how to control their movement I suppose. They are currently examining how Autism might be hereditary so I would talk to your doctor.
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 6:05 PM on Apr. 30, 2009