Inducing at 34 weeks?

Just got out of spending three days in the hospital. They stopped my contractions. They were 3 minutes apart, but I wasnt dilated. Usig terbultaline, however that made my heart go insane and I had to be put on oxygen. Then they gave me IV fluids and magnessium sulfate and since I was only having about 5 contractions and hour, they sent me home. The baby's heartbeat was 112 which they insisted was fine even though its usually 140-170. Today my stomach feels huge, I cant sit up without immense pain. My ribs feel bruised, my stomach is tight, theres no room. My vagina hurts and feels bruised and my back hurts. Sharp pains in side, baby has moved 2 times since 9 this morning. I'm only 34 weeks and some days. According to ultrasound, baby is "great". Should I continue in constant pain for 2 more weeks or see if the doctor will induce me? I'm still having contractions.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:55 PM on Apr. 30, 2009 in Pregnancy

• 34wks is too soon to deliver.
    TMJ121099

Answer by TMJ121099 at 5:58 PM on Apr. 30, 2009

• 34 weeks is kinda soon baby's lungs may not be developed.
    kb24

Answer by kb24 at 6:10 PM on Apr. 30, 2009

• Unless the mother has major complications from something like preeclampsia then they will not induce before 37 weeks at the earliest.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 6:10 PM on Apr. 30, 2009

• They most likely won't induce this early. My advice would be that if you go into labor again, don't rush too quickly to the hospital if you don't want the terbultaline again. Wait a while and if you are dilated enough they will let you continue with your labor instead of trying to stop it.

34 weeks is still "pre-term", but it isn't considered "pre-mature" So your baby will have an excellent chance of survival.
    julipickle2

Answer by julipickle2 at 6:20 PM on Apr. 30, 2009

• I would definitely see your doctor and find out what is causing you so much pain but not go with the sole idea of being induced. Doctors can tell when the time is right and the longer you can wait the better. There is a lot of important development in the baby in those last few weeks. Sounds like your pain is from the weight of the baby and you are stretched to your limits, both physically and emotionally. Hang in there a little longer. www.newmommyteesandjeans.com
    Mommyghee

Answer by Mommyghee at 6:49 PM on Apr. 30, 2009

• 34 weeks is way to soon to deliver. You need to let your doctor know how much pain you are in and try to figure out why.
    kemclaughlin

Answer by kemclaughlin at 8:36 PM on Apr. 30, 2009

• I would definetly go abck to the hospital adn let them know that your baby is not moving as much.
    babyangelromero

Answer by babyangelromero at 8:39 PM on Apr. 30, 2009

• you can go back to L&D to check your baby's heart rate again. I think unless the doctor finds something seriously wrong with you or the baby...you shouldn't get induced because you're very uncomfortable or in pain. wait it out...seriously, you may just end up in a c-section and if that doesn't matter to you...there are risks to your baby being born at 34 weeks...will probably be in NICU for 2 weeks on oxygen, etc. Good luck whatever you and your doctor decides to do. Hope all goes well. All you can do is pray for a healthy baby.
    GreekMama28

Answer by GreekMama28 at 12:43 AM on May. 1, 2009

• That pain sounds like many pregnant women. I had all that, and I could definitely understand why women get SO impatient toward the end of pregnancy. You need to be patient, and do what's best for the baby, which means letting him/her cook a little longer! You shouldn't be induced unless you have a medical reason. The lungs and liver are not fully developed at 34 weeks, and I imagine you don't want to see your baby in a NICU with tubes all over the place because you were uncomfortable. Try to hang in there, and know you won't be in this condition forever. If you don't have one, get an exercise ball. It really helped with my back pain.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 1:50 AM on May. 1, 2009

• you need to go to L&D if you've only felt your baby move 2 times all day, you should be able to feel him/her move at least 2 times every half hour, thats what my ob said anyway good luck
    jak89

Answer by jak89 at 5:02 AM on May. 1, 2009