Any suggestions on small cross stitch ideas?

I already do knitting, crocheting, and embroidery. I also do plastic canvas, but would like to get into counted cross stitch. Now that I am retired, I have time to do more crafts, but arthritis is making it difficult to knit and crochet. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks.

tngrandma

Asked by tngrandma at 6:01 PM on Apr. 30, 2009 in Hobbies & Crafts

• I know I'm always looking for lightweight Christmas decorations. Maybe you could find some patterns for a counted cross stitch project for them?
    timelessglass

Answer by timelessglass at 6:08 PM on Apr. 30, 2009

• When I taught my daughters how to cross stitch I bought them the simple, small kits to begin with. It gave them the foundation of what the craft was about. Once they mastered the art of even stitches, using appropriate colors, and finishing, I moved them on to easy counted cross stitch kits. Two of my three daughters have given up the craft, but my 17 year old daughter continues with it and has progressed to purchasing her own Aida cloth, colored thread, and following patterns from craft books. She loves to variate them with her own thread color choices, frames, and give them as gifts.
    I wish you all the best! Cross stitching seems simple and easy, but takes time and patience. The end results are very beautiful! I'm sure you will be proud of yourself.
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 6:30 PM on Apr. 30, 2009

• They have lots of small "weekend" kits over at Micheals. You can try one and see how long it takes to complete. Ornaments are small and don't take much time.
    jaimie175

Answer by jaimie175 at 8:25 PM on Apr. 30, 2009

• I've been stitching for 15 years and have never liked doing kits. My suggestion would be to look at the patterns online (there are many free ones out there) and then purchase your own thread and fabric. I would recommend getting a Q-Snap frame. YOu mentioned that you have arthritis and the Q-Snap is a square frame that is easy to hold, keeps the fabric tight, and doesn't leave hoop marks. I would start with bigger fabric, maybe 11 count or 14 count to get started. It can be quite taxing on the eyes.
    Anonymous

• Kits are the easiest to do when you are starting out, and I'd recommend a frame to hold the cloth while you are stitching. I've been stitching for 30 years and I started with kits, went to buying my own supplies and now I'm back to using kits more frequently.

To start out, there are plenty of little kits for Christmas ornaments, greeting cards, weekend projects, etc.

I belong to a couple of stitching groups. We have LOTS of ideas to share and plenty of fun! Check out Stitching Divas group and Cross Stitch group here on CM.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 9:26 AM on May. 2, 2009

• I want to say check out Stitching Divas and Cross stitch also. We trade projects, give away projects, and have a bunch of patterns for free in stitching Divas! We have many people who can help, offer tips and tricks,a nd we show our work off to get advice, and compliments.
    Hope you find what you want and enjoy!
    ms_mommy_sue

Answer by ms_mommy_sue at 9:55 AM on May. 2, 2009

• Thanks to all of you for your suggestions. I will be looking into the groups you mentioned. Thanks again.
    tngrandma

Answer by tngrandma at 7:02 PM on May. 2, 2009

• most craft stores already sell patterns for this. Even walmart has some.
    But if you want ideas as to what to get...
    Start with a welcome sign for your home.. with a nice picture of something you enjoy.. and finish it with the names of those that live there. It's a great starter. I know my mom did one for our cottage. It was of a light house, with our last name, and date on it.. and our names in small print, in the corners made to look like boat rope. Came out beautiful.

Or do one for the holidays. Ex. summer is coming up. You could make one that say Happy Summer, with pretty flowers, etc. Or one for the fourth of July. Or do one for someone you know with a baby. Babies name, date of birth, etc, with a nice picture.

most patterns like these can be found easily. Have fun.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 1:20 AM on May. 3, 2009