Anyone a tarot reader who can give me some pointers?

I have the quest tarot deck. My first deck and first time doing tarot. I feel like i dont know how to do it, its too hard to understand. I dont know how to shuffle either. The book doesnt talk about how to shuffle for beginners. I tried to become calm and do a celtic spread but i get them reversed all the time because the book says flip them up and put them face up well there going to be up side down up side up. KWIM?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:13 PM on Apr. 30, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• The best thing you can do is just take your time to get to know the cards. Sit and do an easy breathing meditation for 10-15 minutes, then start going through the cards one at a time. Contemplate the image, and free associate. Try to find out what the cards mean for you. The book helps with full interpretation, but personally knowing your cards will get you the clearest results in the long run.
    guitarlove

Answer by guitarlove at 6:45 PM on Apr. 30, 2009

• It seems like you are trying to do too much at once. I've been studying these cards for ten years and I'm still learning stuff. Start out with one or three card spreads. A ten card celtic cross is just info overload. Also, there are tons of books on how to read the cards for beginners. A good one is tarot for beginners haha, I have it and I still read it.

Also, you need to get to know your cards. Let it's energy mingle with yours. Look at every single card, keep them on you in a bag. Really get to know them. Then start asking simple questions. It takes time and practice. Keep at it, it's really not that hard once you get used to it.
    mehamil1

Answer by mehamil1 at 7:09 PM on Apr. 30, 2009

• You need to ignore the specifics, and use them to your own rules. Just learn the basics and find a way to do whats comfortable to you.
    Anonymous

• Tarot cards are pretty fun, aren't they? I've had mine for about 10 years now. I'm nowhere near an expert. I usually just do spreads on myself. I don't know if I'm doing it right but it seems to always "work", you know the message is right on. My tarot cards came with a little booklet that showed a 10-card spread and so I just copy that. And then there are little descriptions for every card. I don't really know if I'm shuffling the way I'm supposed to. I usually just say my "question" out loud, breathe in and out deeply a few times to sort of enter a meditative state, and then I allow spirit to guide my shuffling.

This is a great question. I'm interested in what others say. Good luck with your cards.
    jenettyshome

Answer by jenettyshome at 8:36 PM on Apr. 30, 2009

• The reality is, the person for whom you are doing the reading will "read" the cards. Nothing you do or say matters...they fill in the blanks. I do these all the time and am amazed at the amount of info folks give me and still leave the reading thinking that I told them something about themselves.
    Anonymous

• With any reading you are not giving exacts. Most of the time you are telling the person something they already knew in the back of their mind. There are no definated yes or no's. And most definately not about the persons death. Thats a no no
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 9:34 PM on Apr. 30, 2009