To parents with children with autism....

What were the signs you noticed that made you think your child had autism? At what age was your child when you started to notice the signs? How was he/she diagnosed, what kind of testing was done? What should I look out for?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:15 PM on Apr. 30, 2009 in General Parenting

• This can be searched on search engines very easily - search: autism warning signs. Asking people will essentially be confusing as autism symptoms are different in EACH child/person.
    Anonymous

• My son has just been "finally" diagnosed with Asperger's at ten years old, but I had to basically be the one to diagnose him. Research all you can about Autism / Asperger's Disorder. Both have a lot of the same characteristics as ADHD, especially asperger's. IT can be confusing.. My son is very smart, but by 7 years old, he seemed to stop progressing in school in the area of Math. He is also very uncomfortable in social situations. That is one of the main signs of Asperger's. He has a hard time relating to other children and adults too at times. Has a hard time reading facial cues and body language. Obsesses over ONE thing for long periods of time. And, when i say obsessing, I'm serious....dinosaurs, video games, airplanes....learn all they can about one topic and then talk about it constantly....There are other signs as well, but these are the most obvious. Also, my son as sensitivity to certain sounds, temperatures, etc.
    lighthousemom3

Answer by lighthousemom3 at 8:19 PM on Apr. 30, 2009

• A very good book to read on Asperger's is called LOOK ME IN THE EYE.. MY LIFE WITH ASPERGER"S by John Elder Robison. He was diagnosed at the age of 40. His story is amazing. He was brilliant with mechanical stuff, computers, etc. but quit school, never made real friends, and describes how frustrating it was for him to "communicate" or socialize with others. Aspergerians take words very literally. Also, good books are The ASPERGER"S ANSWER BOOK, and there's one for Autism too. Check out Books A Million or Amazon.com for good reading material. Also, click on www.asperger'ssyndrome.com. Good Luck
    lighthousemom3

Answer by lighthousemom3 at 8:23 PM on Apr. 30, 2009