Did anyone get gestational diabetes during pregnancy? Or have it now during your pregnancy?

I have a high risk of having it. I'm taking the glucose test next wednesday. And, i'm scared im going to have it. I have done all the research on how it could affect me and my baby boy. But, i still want some one who has gone through it or is going through it currently to tell me how it has affected the rest of their pregnancy?

I really need the advice. I'm scared.

mum-to-be-at-18

Asked by mum-to-be-at-18 at 6:19 PM on Apr. 30, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I have gestataional diabetes now (35 weeks along) and did with my other two pregnancies. All of my babies have been perfectly healthy...big, but healthy. If you do have gestational diabetes, here's what to expect.... You'll have to test your blood sugar 4 times a day (before breakfast, after breakfast, lunch and dinner) The blood glucose levels they want you to shoot for are 90 and below fasting and 130 or below 2 hours after a meal. I have to eat 3 meals a day and 3 snack in between and you have to watch your carb intake. 45 grams of carbs for a meal and 30 grams for a snack. GD is a pain in the behind, you feel tied to the clock...watching to see if it is time to test or time to eat. All my babies have been born perfect, no health problems at all....9 lbs 5 oz, 8 lbs 13 oz...due this June. I am sure yours will, too. Try not to worry too much. Good luck to you!
    CaseyErin

Answer by CaseyErin at 6:41 PM on Apr. 30, 2009

• I didnt have it with my daugther..even though I was high risk for it concidering my mom got it with me but never got rid of it.and theres LOTS of people in both sides of my family with diabeties.BUt I just recently had the glucose test done and find out the results monday.I have been worried cause since i am high risk,i always check my blood sugars with a meter anyways.and sometimes after i eat,it goes a lil above 200 and drops as low as 50.

I can tell you though from my best friend having it with her last 2 pregnancies and she now has it with this one....
    they gave her a meter to check her blood sugar levels 4 times a day.She had to really watch what she ate which from me living with her then i knew first hand how hard that was on her not being able to eat most things she craved.Her last baby ended up being born at 35 weeks because of it but was healthy.Most times it just causes your baby to be bigger.Just watch what you
    Anonymous

• ugghh it cut me off...just watch what you eat and try not to stress about it until you actually do the test and find out forsure if you will have it or not.I know i am worried about finding out my results but when you stress about things is when it becomes a problem.so try not to worry until you know for sure then your doc can tell you more about it
    Anonymous

• I am trying not to worry. I just have such a feeling inside me saying that i do have it.
    mum-to-be-at-18

Answer by mum-to-be-at-18 at 6:31 PM on Apr. 30, 2009

• thank you casey that was awesome.
    mum-to-be-at-18

Answer by mum-to-be-at-18 at 7:07 PM on Apr. 30, 2009

• I also have GD at the moment and had it through my last pregnancy, like the last mom said too I have had perfectly healthy babies and plan on having another healthy one in August. Yes it is a pain in the butt. I had to really watch what I eat. But on the bright side I will ot have to take insulin. I HATE NEEDLES I was supposed to do it with my last one but never did and she came out fine. you will usually know when your sugar is too high you feel like you have NO energy. just want to lay there. that's how I knew it this time. Don't worry too much it will usually disapear after the baby, but you do have like a 5 yr risk of getting it again. especially if you get overweight. GOOD LUCK
    beyondaprincess

Answer by beyondaprincess at 7:59 PM on Apr. 30, 2009