Does breastfeeding hurt?

becky123672

Asked by becky123672 at 6:33 PM on Apr. 30, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It's uncomfortable at first, but if it hurts a lot for a long time, it's probably not being done right.
    Anonymous

• I never experienced pain while breastfeeding either of my children. However, I did get engorged when I weaned my daughter and that was painful. I did it more gradually with my son and that didn't happen.
    sparrowprincess

Answer by sparrowprincess at 6:36 PM on Apr. 30, 2009

• The first few weeks are awful. I wish people would tell the truth about it so that new moms would know what they are in for. I BF'ed all three of my boys for a year, give or take a month. After getting used to it, it doesn't hurt.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 6:37 PM on Apr. 30, 2009

• It can sometimes hurt.
    For me it hurt at first because of his latch was wrong.... then later when he was eating a lot for growth spurts and now when he gets new teeth it hurts until he gets used to them and corrects his latch
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 6:42 PM on Apr. 30, 2009

• In the first week or so, there might be some discomfort when baby *first* latches on. If it is very painful, or if the pain continues (or gets worse) through the nursing session, then the latch is probably not right. If you get the latch right, then it shouldn't hurt - and that is the most common cause of pain during breastfeeding, and easily fixed. Your local LLL Leader will be able to help you with this, if you do experience problems - there are also video clips online demonstrating a proper latch.

There are other reasons that it might hurt (tongue-tie, thrush) but those are less common and you have to rule out latch issues first. Here is a very helpful article on nipple pain that will answer all your questions!

Collinsky

Answer by Collinsky at 6:42 PM on Apr. 30, 2009

• Honestly, the first few weeks are very hard. I recommend preparing your boobs during your pregnancy by rubbing them vigorously in the shower with a wet wash cloth every day. It is very helpful to have a support group around you and to talk with other mothers who will encourage you at first. Just keep at it. It gets to be a breeze and soooooo worth it.
    bluelady27

Answer by bluelady27 at 6:44 PM on Apr. 30, 2009

• Oh just to add - I did have a lot of nipple pain when first nursing my fourth baby! I had severe nipple sensitivity during that pregnancy, and it took a little less than a couple weeks after his birth for it to clear away. If your nipples hurt during the last part of pregnancy, then actually yes, they probably will hurt when nursing. That goes away after a week or so!
    Collinsky

Answer by Collinsky at 6:45 PM on Apr. 30, 2009

• It hurts like hell, especially the first couple of weeks.
    Anonymous

• Ive been nursing for 8 months and i haven't had any pain since she was born except when she bites....
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 6:58 PM on Apr. 30, 2009

• If the latch is proper then the answer is "no" with the exception of the first week. For the first week everytime my DS began to nurse I would go crosseyed with about 30 excruciating seconds of pain, then I would be fine. The only time I hurt now is if I haven't used my pump in few days, then for whatever reason it hurts for the first few seconds.
    WindyTheWidow

Answer by WindyTheWidow at 7:16 PM on Apr. 30, 2009