when should i but my child in a booster seat, he is 2 years old and is 42 pounds?

bradensmommy106

Asked by bradensmommy106 at 6:37 PM on Apr. 30, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• As soon as they reach 30lbs.
    ladyd6280

Answer by ladyd6280 at 6:41 PM on Apr. 30, 2009

• I heard it was 4 years old or 40 pounds, but to be on the safe side, ask the police department or fire department this. They can also help you install it properly.
    timelessglass

Answer by timelessglass at 6:42 PM on Apr. 30, 2009

• My son weighs 30 pounds but he is only 2 and I don't think he is big enough for a booster seat at all! Before you take any advice from people on the internet, I completely agress with timelessglass, you need to check with the police department because the laws vary by state.
    Anonymous

• Talk to your local sheriffs office for the laws in your state. Its usually 4 years and 40 lbs for a booster and you can do a high back booster at 30.
    Anonymous

• A two year old in a booster? I can only speak for mine and I wouldn't trust him in a booster. They're not normally mature enough to sit correctly with just a seatbelt, and it's definitely recommended they be in a harness as long as possible.

If your seat only goes to 45lbs, I would suggest looking into a seat like the Apex65 or another one that harnesses up to 65lbs. (we have the Apex, there are others which harness higher weights though)
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 6:55 PM on Apr. 30, 2009

• It has nothing to do with age or weight.
    How responsible is he? If he drops a toy or sippy cup, will he wiggle out of his seat belt to get it? If the shoulder belt rubs against his neck will he push it behind his back instead? Toddlers and young preschoolers belong in 5-point-harnesses. They do not have the maturity to keep a seat belt in place.
    How tall is he? If he is too short, the shoulder belt can decapitate him in an accident.

Evaluate your child and look at the limits for his current car seat. If he is close to reaching them, look for a car seat that has a 5-point harness that goes to higher limits. Most of these will also convert to booster seats once the child is responsible and tall enough. Try the Graco Natillus.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 6:56 PM on Apr. 30, 2009

• Do me a favor... Go look at your child...
    Do you honest to god just trust a flimsy booster seat and an unreliable car seat belt to keep him safe in the event of a crash??
    Graco Nautilus will harness up to 65lbs. Its $150 on Walmart.com. 0.97 shipping. I got mine a day and a half after ordering it.
    Please research how unsafe booster seats are, especially for your child.
    Auntiemom410

Answer by Auntiemom410 at 7:12 PM on Apr. 30, 2009

• NO WAY WAY TO YOUNG !!!!!!! THey should be in a seat that harnesses till 65lbs THEN booster if nessisary !
    My DD is 28 months and in a GN so she is harnessed longer . I don't want her in a booster for years it isn't safe that young!
    baby1love

Answer by baby1love at 7:44 PM on Apr. 30, 2009

• 2 year olds have no business being in a booster seat.

Who in the world would say "as soon as they hit 30lbs"? OMG the ignorance is astounding!
    mamalinzie

Answer by mamalinzie at 8:43 PM on Apr. 30, 2009