Can I TTC if I have an STD?

I'm doing this anon because I'm embarrassed. I have herpes, but my s/o and I really want a child. Would it be safe to TTC? Would I have to have a c-section?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:02 PM on Apr. 30, 2009 in Trying to Conceive

• Talk to your doctor. I have heard that it is women with herpes can have healthy children but need to have a c section to make sure that herpes doesn't effect the baby.
    But seriously we are not doctors so please call your doctor to get all of the facts.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 7:09 PM on Apr. 30, 2009

• There are a lot of different kinds of herpes - for some women it can cause problems for the pregnancy. If you have had to have a lot of procedures done on your cervix, it can be difficult to carry a baby to term. But the short answer is yes, you can TTC. Your OB/MW will have to be aware of your disease status so they can make sure you don't have an active infection at the time of birth. If you do, c-section is usual to protect your baby. If you don't, vaginal birth is probably safe. You can find out more at the MoD article Genital Herpes and Pregnancy.

Collinsky

Answer by Collinsky at 7:12 PM on Apr. 30, 2009

• do research and ask the dr.! if you end up pregnant there are safe medicines out there to treat the disease/symptoms
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 7:44 PM on Apr. 30, 2009

• Yes you can get pregnant. I am a nurse in an OB unit and herpes happens. There is of coarse the risk of your partner getting it if he does not already, and you have unprotected sex. As far as baby...the Dr would make sure u don't have an active outbreak at the time of delivery, or you will need a section. Some Drs may prefer to do a c-section reguardless. Even if you have to have a section...ur baby will be healthy and you can be a mom! Good Luck!
    kadensmom2000

Answer by kadensmom2000 at 9:35 PM on Apr. 30, 2009

• Yes you can have a baby!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No, you don't need a c-section.....unless you have an outbreak at the time of birth.

%30 of women have come in contact with herpes. Most people infected don't even know they have it. A blood test can check for antibodies (your body produces them when you have been exposed to the virus)

Your doctor should put you on Valtrex from week 36 on. If you don't have an outbreak when you deliver you chance of passing it on is less than 1%. If you are on Valtrex it is less.

If you still are scared, you can choose a c-section. The rate of transmition is still less than 1%

I am an nurse in Labor and Delivery.

Good luck. Make make many happy children!
    Anonymous