Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Child Support Question

So my divorce was final in December and he's supposed to pay $300 a month for child support. Well in the papers it said that if he went 1 year without paying child support OR 1 year without coming to see our daughter then he lost all parental rights. He calls maybe twice a month and he always makes comments about how he dont know how him and his gf are gonna make it with him paying child support and he acts like they take the money out of his check BUT I understood it to be where he had to send the money to the state and they put it in an account? Im not pushing the issue bc I want him to lose his rights bc she is mine and I dont want a POS like that inher life and she dont even know who he is. I gues my question is so they take the money out of his checks or is he supposed to send it? I have seen no money so that's why I wonder...and he's been through 3 jobs inthe past 5 months.

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 7:11 PM on Apr. 30, 2009 in General Parenting

Answers (5)
  • Call the child support agency and find out why you haven't received any money. THEY are the ones who can tell you. It's different in different states. I know it's taken right out of my brother's check (even his unemployment and tax refund if he's behind)

    Answer by TiccledBlue at 7:16 PM on Apr. 30, 2009

  • If you haven't seen any money they why is he complaining? And usually yes they take the money right out of his check, if you are on cash aid then you will not see the money it goes to the state because they are helping you. I think even though its stated in the divorce that he will lose his rights after a year, you might still have to go to court. If I were you I'd check it out and see what you have to do once the year is up.

    Answer by Mommy2seven at 7:18 PM on Apr. 30, 2009

  • I know in IL you can have it set up that the state takes it out and sends it to you, or HE can send it to you. I would call the Child Support Enforcement to find out for sure.

    Answer by TheDiva320 at 7:24 PM on Apr. 30, 2009

  • Well I do know that Child Support Services take half of every single one of my DFs checks, now where the money is going we have no idea, any time he has called and asked they have told him "its going towards your CS payment", however according to his ex she hasnt gotten anything so it beats me I have no idea how that crap works its all so damn confusing, and such a joke its not even funny. If you dont want CS why dont you just tell him to stop paying it, and tell him to give up his parental rights to her.

    Answer by hautemama83 at 7:34 PM on Apr. 30, 2009

  • Well if they garnish his wages (take it out of his checks) atleast he will be up to date on the child support or atleast catch up on it on a up to date basis.

    Or if he and you decide on him mailing you the child support (yeah right) I don't see him doing this maybe once or twice then he will feed you stuff like he is already. That is his child and he needs to help support her so don't feel sorry or let him off easy if I were you do it through the system he sounds like he wants you to feel bac for him and whoever he is with. Don't fall for it get what you and your daughter deserve now if he was the type of man that showed he wanted to be in her life then that is when you and he talk and maybe just maybe you'll cut him some slack but for now go take care of this asap. GL I hope all goes your way.

    Answer by Butterfly1108 at 8:27 PM on Apr. 30, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.