What are your thoughts on hate crime legislation?

I don't recall discussing this here so thought it could be interesting.

I'm personally against it, which is the opposite of most Liberals but oh well. I think people should be charged with the crime they committed and not what they were thinking when they did it. too much like the thought police for my taste.

What say you?

Friday

Asked by Friday at 7:27 PM on Apr. 30, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Waste of money and resources having to go to the extra effort to "prove" hate. They're all hate crimes. And it's an insult to any victim or their family if the person who committed the crime gets off with a lighter sentence just because the victim wasn't the right color, religion or sexual orientation to qualify for the really stiff penalties. The so-called hate crime sentencing guidelines should be the universal guidelines, and stop discriminating based on the victim's biography.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 7:34 PM on Apr. 30, 2009

• My problem with hate crime legislation is, IMO, most serious crimes are hate crimes. If you murder your cheating spouse, that's a hate crime. If a gang member shoots a member from another gang, it's a hate crime. Rape is a hate crime. If anyone commits an act of violence, including killing children, it's almost always because of hate, rage, etc.

Killing someone deserves life in prison, if not the death penalty, regardless.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 7:40 PM on Apr. 30, 2009

• I am very for it! I think that motive factors in to a crime as much if not more than the crime itself. Because it speaks towards future actions. If a man goes and kills his neighbor that molested his child, it's still murder. But chances are he won't do it again if and when he gets out. However if that man goes and kills his neighbor just because his neighbor is black it's a hate crime and there is a chance that he will do it again. It should carry a longger prison time.

It's just like someone that hits and kills someone with their car. If it was an honest to goodness accedent should it carry the same punishment as a DUI caused accident? No, why? because the person behind the wheel has a different state of mind. A DUI has a larger chance of recommitment than your average joe good driver.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 8:04 PM on Apr. 30, 2009

• omg Friday we are 2 for 2 in agreement! The sky must be falling! LOL. I don't agree with this. I also have to agree with manc. ALL crime is a form of hate!
    momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 8:05 PM on Apr. 30, 2009

• So you are for harsher punishments based on what someone might do in the future? That doesn't sound right at all to me. One should be punished for the actual crime committed not what they might or might not do down the road or what they were thinking at the time.

What does giving "hate crimes" harsher sentencing accomplish? Does it prevent those convicted from doing it again any more than normal sentencing? Is there any solid evidence of this?

Friday

Answer by Friday at 8:09 PM on Apr. 30, 2009

• I AM ALL FOR IT!!!

Answer by older at 8:25 PM on Apr. 30, 2009

• I see where you are going with this Friday...

I think that you are on the right track, and I can see the points you have made.

I don't know what the difference would be inpunishment either, so maybe focus on if the crime was personally motivated (which IMO includes 'hate') or random/commited during another act (such as robbery)
    ozarkgirl3

Answer by ozarkgirl3 at 8:40 PM on Apr. 30, 2009

• Crimes motivated by invidious hatred toward particular groups not only harm individual victims but send a powerful message of intolerance and discrimination to all members of the group to which the victim belongs. Hate crimes can and do intimidate and disrupt entire communities and vitiate the civility that is essential to healthy democratic processes. In a democratic society, citizens cannot be required to approve of the beliefs and practices of others, but must never commit criminal acts on account of them. People who commit crimes based on someones race or sexual orientation need to be taught a lesson you can disagree with their lifestyle or hate there race if you chose to because we do live in a free society but, hurting someone because of that is very wrong and that is a lesson our children need to learn.

Anonymous

• I actually agree with you Friday. Thought Police indeed. More bureaucratic bs  to tie up the US courts. yay (sarcasm)

myame

Answer by myame at 8:50 PM on Apr. 30, 2009

• I don't think you people really understand what a hate crime is.
    Anonymous