Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What do you when your adult child who has a disability enters college?

Well high school does not prepare a child for college, especially when they have a disability. Its even harder when the disability is not physical. Their it not enough help for people with disabilities. What do you do when your child enters college with a disability.

Answer Question

Asked by poetry911 at 7:29 PM on Apr. 30, 2009 in Adult Children (18+)

Level 1 (0 Credits)
Answers (6)
  • Of course there is enough help at least at college level. My college had a great disabilities program and was always ready to help in any way they could. Contact them and register your child in their office and stop worrying. It will be fine

    Answer by admckenzie at 9:48 PM on Apr. 30, 2009

  • I'd say congratulations, support this decision; and help him where necessary. That does not mean do his home work. There are so many resources to help which you could research. Start with your state's government website; talk to the college; and don't worry.

    I have ADHD; and earned my BBA degree in two majors with high honors. I started my MBA and was 6 classes shy of graduating with honors when my now ex husband decided he wanted a divorce. I have thought about finishing it but now my kids are starting to go and I would rather spend the tuition on their futures which are just starting. As for getting through college with ADHD; I made her the instructor knew on the first day; sat in the front row so all I could focus on was the instructor and board. At the same time, the instructor learned by watching my expressions, he/she knew I missed something, thus wrote key words on the board. Good luck and best wishes.

    Answer by Susanilow at 6:01 AM on May. 1, 2009

  • I remember when I went to college, the professors asked if anyone had and learning disabilites or anything that they should be made aware of.

    Answer by vickwu at 2:52 PM on May. 1, 2009

  • My brother had a MAJOR learning disablity, he went AWAY to college and graduated. At the colleges there is an office of disability which will provide help and even accomodations IF YOU ask for it. In HS honestly a big part of the preparedness is to get the kids to ASK for help, to TAKE OWNERSHIP of themselves and their needs. SUPER difficult in H.S. and even in the early stage of college b/c it does take a certain amount of guts, self-confidence, determination, etc.
    but it can be done. Each kid is diff. however MOST (if not ALL) colleges have a "Disabilities" office.
    when I went in the 90's I rem. some kids who took their test out of class, students with sign language interpeters, recorders, even laptops (not so common then), transcribers etc.etc.

    Answer by MamiJaAyla at 6:58 PM on May. 1, 2009

  • For starters you should have him apply for services with your local State Vocational Rehabilitation Office. The federal government mandated in 1983 and amended in 1997 the IDEA act which provides transition services to youth who are disabled. There is assistance available to help youth with disabilities to transition from high school to either work or higher education. If you need any assistance on finding the right agencies in your area please feel free to PM me. Each University or College has a Disability Support Services office (or similar name). You need to have your son take documentation of his disabilities to this office to arrange any and all accommodations that he will need in school. If something comes along later and he needs further accommodations he can go back to them and ask for assistance. This office will also assist him with any professors who do not respect the assistance that he needs.


    Answer by Magpie75 at 1:07 AM on May. 2, 2009

  • If your child (adult child) had an IEP throughout high school, then the education department has a responsibility to write it up so that it will follow your adult child through college.
    This is what my daughter's high school education department is going to do with her IEP.

    Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 10:46 AM on May. 12, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.