I need some advice! Help!

I am terrified of labor. I have a gut feeling that I will end up needing a c-section. There is no medical reason why I think this - I am young and healthy with no complications - it's just a gut feeling.... So my doctor said I can consider an elective c-section and that he will give me one if I want one. I can't make up my mind. I don't want to end up needing one after hours of labor, but obviously I have no way of knowing how any of it will go!! Can anyone give me some advice??????? I know I'm being a wimp.

stepmom929

Asked by stepmom929 at 7:36 PM on Apr. 30, 2009 in Pregnancy

• i had am emergency c section because after the epidural, after each contraction my baby's heart rate dropped. plus after 10 hours I was still only 1 cm dilated, so a c section was the only choice!
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 7:38 PM on Apr. 30, 2009

• I was induced, 16 hours later we had a c-section. I stopped dialating at 7 cm. If you have to have a section, don't stress over it. It is not as bad as everyone thinks. You really don't know how things will go until you get there. I believed the same thing, hours of labor for a section. Thats what I got. Now I am 34 wks w/ my second, and have had a feeling this entire pregnancy that she is going to come on her own before my scheduled section. We shall see. Good luck!
    Tiffany237

Answer by Tiffany237 at 7:42 PM on Apr. 30, 2009

• I am not going to lie labor is tough and yes painful but I personally wouldn't want to have a c-section if I didn't medically need one. You'll be fine. Get the epidural and welcome your little one into the world.
    mommytobrooke

Answer by mommytobrooke at 7:42 PM on Apr. 30, 2009

• I've had 2 vaginal births and 1 c-section. After my c-section, I will never have children again. It is the most painful thing ever. After my vaginal deliveries I was able to walk after a couple of days but with the c-section it's still hard to still walk and I'm going on 3 weeks of post labor. With the c-section I havent been able to sleep on my sides. I can't stand for along time and when I sneeze oh the pain. I would definetly try to avoid the c-section.
    babyangelromero

Answer by babyangelromero at 8:30 PM on Apr. 30, 2009

• Sounds like your doc LOVES to do c-sections! Is it too late to switch to another doc? Make sure you have a birth plan, and make it clear that a c-section is only an option if there is an emergency. For example, I went through my whole labor, and started pushing, and my son's heart stopped. They rushed me in for an emergency c-section, and it turned out his cord was wrapped twice around his torso (a very long cord). There are few situations where it is truly an emergency, and 10 hours of labor and only being dilated to 1cm, in most states, doesn't qualify (unless no other measures were working). Be careful, though, because it sounds like your doctor will do a c-section for any reason. Be sure to get a strong advocate on your side, like a doula, or even your hubby. Someone who can fight for you when you're out of your mind in pain and not able to think clearly. I'm sure you'll be fine! Hang in there! =)
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 1:43 AM on May. 1, 2009