? for those who forward-faced once the baby hit the 1yr, 20 lbs mark

just curious why you decided not to wait till they hit the "new safe limit" of 35 lbs? my son is 1 and 20lbs. my car is in the shop and all we have is my SO's firebird. very tight fit and our son's RF seat doesnt fit, so we had no choice but to do the FF convertible seat when we went out, and he seemed to do just fine, but once I get my car back I'll probably RF again. I hate to be the one who decides to turn him around then get in a wreck the next day... not that i'm a careless driver, but these things can happen to anyone!

Owl_Feather

Asked by Owl_Feather at 7:50 PM on Apr. 30, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• we dont have a vehicle, so i was not aware that the laws had changed. thank you! I will remember that for or next baby.
    HelloKitty86

Answer by HelloKitty86 at 7:56 PM on Apr. 30, 2009

• I turned my son around BEFORE he was a year old. He was 20 lbs at 8 months and I turned him forward facing at 9-10 months. He was too tall, and kept kicking the back of the seat, and even kicked his car seat off the base! We never got in a wreck, but my kid's huge, it just wasn't feasible to keep him rear facing.
    Annabel1809Lee

Answer by Annabel1809Lee at 7:58 PM on Apr. 30, 2009

• When I moved the boys @ their 1st bdays, there was no extension to 2yrs old mark. If this little man is long legged like his brothers, then I wonder how uncomfortable he will be with his legs squashed against the back of the seat. I guess we will have to see how things turn out.

I would just say that, you should do as you feel is the best for your baby.
    tabbykat6802

Answer by tabbykat6802 at 7:58 PM on Apr. 30, 2009

• a. I didn't know that and B. because I much prefer being able to see my child.
    ZaTa

Answer by ZaTa at 7:58 PM on Apr. 30, 2009

• We switched ours at about 12 months(and over 20lbs) just because of the leg room. I can only imagine how uncomfortable they are with their legs in their chest. Where as my sister waited until my nephew's legs were in his chest before she turned him around.
    Danni143

Answer by Danni143 at 8:19 PM on Apr. 30, 2009

• There is no "new law". It is currently being suggested that they remain rear facing until the max of the seat, which is usually 35lbs. But it is no law.

It is not even a law in all states that they be one and 20lbs before going forward facing, but it is strongly recommended as a minimum.

I switched ours at 12 months. They were over 25lbs by that point. One of them we switched because he became carsick riding backwards quite often. Even back then (4 years ago) it was recommended to leave them longer. Extended rear facing is not a new idea.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 8:35 PM on Apr. 30, 2009

• well according to a source it is a law in georgia anyways, to rear face up to 1 year 20 lbs
    http://consumer.georgia.gov/00/article/0,2086,5426814_39039081_82157824,00.html

Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 8:39 PM on Apr. 30, 2009

• It's a new recommendation. We switched a few days before her first birthday. We were taking a long car trip and she HATED being in the car. We guessed (and were right) that she would be much happier facing forward. Instead of 2 days of non-stop screaming, we had a happy, giggling girl.
    What would I do if I had another baby? I don't know. Recommendations are always changing.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 8:40 PM on Apr. 30, 2009

• It is the law to stay RF to 1 year AND 20lbs. All states require you to use your seat according to the manufacturers specifications, and absolutely no seat on the market allows a child to RF before both one year AND 20LBS. More and more seats are making the FF minimum 22-23lbs.
    mamalinzie

Answer by mamalinzie at 8:41 PM on Apr. 30, 2009

• I hate the "they're uncomfortable" argument. No, they're not. My daughter is 2, and she has never complained. If they're kicking off the base, buy a seat without a base. You're going to have to anyway. If any comment is "they're too tall" followed by a comment on the kids' legs, the poster hasn't done any research. Being too tall is about where your head falls on the seat.

I almost turned my daughter around because I flat didn't know. My pediatrician told me when I went to see her for the one year appt that she wasn't heavy enough, first of all, and second of all, the recommendation. I'm so glad my pediatrician shared accurate information with me, rather than just saying that I could legally turn her around.
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 9:38 PM on Apr. 30, 2009