Is three months old enough to feed my son rice cereal?

My son is 3 months, sits with support, and eats about 30 ounces of formula a day.

amyt89

Asked by amyt89 at 7:51 PM on Apr. 30, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• IMO, 3 months is too young for solids. the digestive system isnt developed enough and solids could cause problems. also the tongue reflex is usually still present at that age. the tongue will "spit out" the solids, as a way to protect the baby from choking. I'd say wait till about 6 months!
    Anonymous

• Yes you can if you feel he's not satisfied on formula alone!!! I started by making it less thicker than oatmeal by adding the formula to it!!!
    ladyd6280

Answer by ladyd6280 at 7:54 PM on Apr. 30, 2009

• Doctors tell moms they can add rice cereal to the bottle of formula when and if baby isn't satisfied or isn't gaining weight!!! Been there done it! Start small/ if you have dipping cups use that and fill it halfway.
    ladyd6280

Answer by ladyd6280 at 7:58 PM on Apr. 30, 2009

• Not really. ITA with the first poster. Not only the digestive system, but baby has to be coordinated enough to chew/swallow. BUT if you are absolutely going to insist on trying keep it very thin. not much thicker than formula. I'd wait.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 7:59 PM on Apr. 30, 2009

• Nope not yet, 6 months is what is recommended these days not 4-6. At 3 months is a massive growth spurt and there is another at 6 months. That's why they seem like they are never full.
    sk_tennyson

Answer by sk_tennyson at 8:20 PM on Apr. 30, 2009

• Ask your doctor. My ped said 4 months.

legalmommy101

Answer by legalmommy101 at 8:32 PM on Apr. 30, 2009

• Baby Girl my daughter is 3months as we speak and i give her Oatmeal Cereal it's called, "Gerber DHA Brain and Eye Development oatmeal cereal single grain." She loves it and it's looses her stool a little. With the formula she could do number 2 and cried very loudly. What i do is i give her one in a hlf scoop of cereal and 3 scoops of formula 6oz and she sleeps in her bassinet for about 7hrs... Listen it's my first child but i do a lot of research. My doctor said you shouldn't give them cereal because the can get diabetes if you give it too early. But you know what my mother gave me cuba remedies wit hthe milk and i turn out fine. I'm not allergic to nothing... Plus every doctor has a different thoughts and saying. So basically ask your doctor first or just try it out the baby will be fine.
    Anonymous

• i did with both my kids just try it and see how it works no harm done
    jac1908

Answer by jac1908 at 8:44 PM on Apr. 30, 2009

• my baby has been getting rice cereal in her bottle since she was 2 weeks old and she eats it off the spoon just fine at 3 months. her doc said it was fine
    Brooklynsmom119

Answer by Brooklynsmom119 at 8:46 PM on Apr. 30, 2009

• thats stupid! theyre too little!!1 jeeze!
    Anonymous